If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Third time's the charm

San Arthur

Throttle control solution

Post by San Arthur »

Both Jon and Kurt gave great ideas when I was looking for a throttle control for Zenaida.
I found this solution on the net.

http://www.ofb.net/~sethml/motorcycle/throttle-lock/

I used an piece of gas line to cover the coat hanger wire. It worked great and aloud me to rest my hand and to take pictures while riding.

San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

miller6997

Two answers at once...

Post by miller6997 »

I may be jinxing the ride, but the R69S runs today the way it did when my brother bought it new, so I just basically get on it and go. I just carry the standard parts that are often recommended: spare bulbs, a new inner tube, a coil, a condenser, and a new set of plugs. I'm not positive, but I think the points that are in it are original. I've never carried a spare set, and maybe that's a mistake. They don't fail often, but neither do they take up a lot of space.

The three of us will all be on BMWs, so among the three bikes, I think we'll have any tools we might need. Except for running out of gas once and one flat tire, I have never been stranded on a BMW, and I've been riding them since '67. The only thing that looked like a mechanical failure was a front shock that wasn't installed correctly and as a result unscrewed itself from the top mount and collapsed. After a couple of frantic phone calls to mechanics I trust, I was persuaded to continue on the one remaining strut.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

San Arthur

Have fun.

Post by San Arthur »

Jon, I also would recommend extra exhaust pipe nut washers and a pipe wrench.

By the last day the vibration loosened the hardware holding the pipe and mufflers to the frame, because of this the pipe nut wouldn't stay in place spiting the washer in the process. Double check all the hardware.

I also thought about jinxing my ride, every night I got to my destination trouble free I wouldn't dare thinking or talking about how good Zenaida was running.

Have fun and take pictures for us.

Arturo

miller6997

R69S exhaust is a little different

Post by miller6997 »

My bike has the large aluminum finned nuts that attach the headers to the heads, and I've never known one to back off. In fact I keep them limber with never-seize and tighten them with minimal torque--just enough to prevent exhaust leaks. But in general, I have gone over the bike from stem to stern tightening and checking.

I've got so used to snapping pictures with my cell phone, I wasn't even going to take my SLR, but I changed my mind and made room for it.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

808Airhead

Excellent!! Thanks for

Post by 808Airhead »

Excellent!! Thanks for posting your adventure,we all lived vicariously through you on your trip! I wish I could have come!! Peole call BMW's "boring" bikes,but if "reliability" is "boring" then I want to be bored to death!
Good job on that little single making it this time with little/no issues. You really got to get yourself a Earls fork twin,then you would have a little more pace and less stress about "making it". The twins are so bulletproof.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

ScottA

this

Post by ScottA »

a candidate for safety wire?

'61 R27, '63 R60/2 etc.

San Arthur

Wire

Post by San Arthur »

Yes, a safety wire would be a good idea.
The nut came loose because all the hardware securing the pipe and muffler came loose, but I'll grateful for any suggestions on how and were to place the wire.

I'm thrilled that Zenaida reached 120 km/h. We were riding down a very steep and long hill, I was tucked behind the small windshield with my elbows on my knees. And maybe my speedometer is off a little.

I was getting around 62 miles a gallon of fuel or 100 kms per gallon, my speedometer is in kilometers.

What is you mpg?

ScottA

one solution

Post by ScottA »

not suggesting you go this far but thought I'd share the image.

I've heard to expect 62 mpg, good to hear yours is seeing it.
'61 R27, '63 R60/2 etc.

San Arthur

Wow

Post by San Arthur »

Scott, that is a mean looking, R25?.
Other the the obvious oil feeder, electronic ignition what else have you done to the engine?

Saludos

ScottA

not mine,

Post by ScottA »

I wish it were.

Just pics collected off the internet some time ago.
I believe they were taken at a track event in Europe.

inspirational, do you agree?

'61 R27, '63 R60/2 etc.