If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Center stand woes

JTAustin

Center stand woes

Post by JTAustin »

I am having a really hard time using the center stand on my /2. I can tell by looking at it that it moves too far forward. Is this a frame issue, bent stand, or an adjustment I need to make. Currently I have to be off the bike to get it on or off the stand. I don't want to use the side stand because fuel leaks out of the carb. Any help, as always, is much appreciated. John

Vin

John It is possible you have

Post by Vin »

John

It is possible you have a bent frame or centerstand but I think it is more probable that you just do not yet have the technique down to easily get it up on the stand. DFirst you will need to put it up on the center stand not while you are sitting on it but while you are standing ne t to it on the left side of the bike. I always hold the front brake lever in while mounting and getting off the bike so it does not roll away from me. Once you are standing on the left side you want your left hand on the left handlebar grip and your right hand on the frame - I grab the frame near the battery with my right hand. Next you need to understand that the projecting arm on the centerstand is only for initially pushing the stand down to the ground away from the bike. You do not step on that projecting arm to put it up on the stand. Now that the legs of the centerstand are down touching the ground place your right foot on the curved left leg of the centerstand and put your right legs calf against the passenger peg. Now simultaneously step down on the centerstand left leg and lean your calf into the passenger peg and pull back a bit with your arms (right hand on the frame and left hand on the left handlebar). You should put more force into pushing it back with your calf than pulling it. If you do this you will see how it just pops right up on the centerstand with almost no effort. The first night I had mine home and off the truck I nearly busted a gut trying to get it on the centerstand until I learned this technique.

schrader7032

Marco Hyman gives the

Post by schrader7032 »

Marco Hyman gives the demonstration here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgLJUFSX5OY

It can be that your centerstand goes too far over center such that both wheels touch the ground. Typically, the rear tire should be off the ground about an inch or two. Going over center makes it difficult to get off the centerstand because you have to raise it so much. This happens when the stops on the frame have been hammered or bent. They can be touched up with welded and dressed to return to normal function.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

c.d.iesel

how to center stand

Post by c.d.iesel »

support the bike so you can remove the center stand for inspection.

look at the condition of the bolts, the holes on the frame and stand.
it might improve after replacing the pivot hardware and grease
it so it works easier.
proper lifting technique also helps in some cases.

New stands are availble from BMW if yours is buggaredup.

VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

iagins

Nice riding gear! Ira

Post by iagins »

Nice riding gear! :-)

Ira Agins
Santa Fe, NM

miller6997

Pardon the distraction but...

Post by miller6997 »

The shoes, socks, and pants on the guy in the sidestand picture is a real period treasure.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

JTAustin

Thanks for all of the tips

Post by JTAustin »

Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions. The proper procedure helps but it is still too difficult. I will pull it off and inspect it this weekend.

John

stagewex

Marco Hyman gives the

Post by stagewex »

I just watched that video as I'm having difficulty lifting my '69 r60/2 onto it's stand. Really hard for me to lift for such a little bike and I just sold my r1100rt which is more than 200lbs heavier. I'm thinking that my center stand is either bent, worn or maybe the stop tabs it is supposed to sit against is worn. The fact that when it is on the center stand and all wheels are still touching the ground points to this.
Anyone have a close-up picture of what it should look like when properly deployed?

Thanks
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

schrader7032

Here's a picture of my R69S

Post by schrader7032 »

Here's a picture of my R69S from the side. This is about right for how high off the ground the rear tire should be as well as the angle of the center stand.
Attachments
rtsidesm.jpg
rtsidesm.jpg (752.06 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Douglass

Center Stand mounting tabs

Post by Douglass »

If your bike is early, it may have the mounting tabs that are open or pierced in the center. I have three early ('59, '60, and '61) in the garage right now and all have these early mounting tabs, and all of them are bent or broken to some degree. Once these tabs bend or break, the center stand no longer functions properly. I believe that the later bikes had solid mounting tabs that were less fragile. I am also under the impression that Vech sells weld on replacement tabs that will fix the problem. Also if you are sporting 400 series tires instead of the proscribed 350's your rear wheel may not come off the ground when parked on the center stand.
Douglass