If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R62 Gearbox

olebmw

R62/R11 transmission

Post by olebmw »

Peter, The museum is the right place. my address is olebmw@aol.com. I replaced the bearings that I could with sealed bearings and machined the bearing holders to accept modern seals on the ones I couldn't get sealed, on the transmission of my R11. I plan on using oil instead of grease. In the final drive, the ring gear hub had spun on the inner hub and I had to make a new one. I changed some deminsions so I could use a sealed bearing on the drive side I think. Its been a while and about forgot all the details. I pinned the two hubs together with long set screws,horizontally. Hope that makes sense.
I'm getting ready to go do some off road in the desert,so may not reply for a couple of weeks.
let me know if I can help. Dan

olebmw

R62 trans

Post by olebmw »

Peter, By the way, I tried to PM a reply to your PM and didn't have any luck, so poster the above reply. Hope you see it. Dan

VBMWMO

R62 Gearbox

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello all. still working on my gearbox. and have some questions.
Can someone confirm the gearbox should be oil filled rather than grease, and recommend an oil weight.
My gearbox has the speedo drive gear G56E7 on the mainshaft but not the other gear G56H1, shaft G56H2, or shaft mount G56A11 that drives the end of the speedo cable.
Is there a source of these parts, or has someone got a gearbox apart that could provide photos or measurements of these parts?
It looks like the gear I am missing will not have straight cut gear teeth as the main shaft and speedo drive shaft will not be parallel.
Thanks and regards,
Peter Barnett
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.