If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R 42 R 52 wheelbase

Barry Robin

R 42 R 52 wheelbase

Post by Barry Robin »

hi peter-
sorry, but i can't help you on this one; my old R42 is the one now on display at the san francisco dealer-which is about 6000 miles west of where i now live. and my current R11 has a different wheelbase altogether, even if it does have a R62 engine in it...

darryl, i think this one's all yours!

-barry

olebmw

R 42 R 52 wheelbase

Post by olebmw »

I measured my R42 link and it measures the same. From the center of the axle to the center of the front pivot point is 85 mm. I measured from the fork/link pivot center line,horizontally back to the frame down tube and it measured 19 5/16". My fender clears the exhaust by 5/8-3/4" or so. Excuse my " /mm measuring system. Need any thing else, let me know. Dan

bmwmyplace

R 42 R 52 wheelbase

Post by bmwmyplace »

Hi Dan thanks for that, can you tell me what you wheelbase is , ie centre axle to axel Thanks again Regards Peter

olebmw

R 42 R 52 wheelbase

Post by olebmw »

My wheel base measures 55 5/8'' which is a little under 1413mm I think. Dan

olebmw

R 42 R 52 wheelbase

Post by olebmw »

Peter, Maybe your fork in bent back a little from being donked. I had a Henderson fork that was bent back over 1"' and was hard to tell without comparing it to a known streight one. We put the fork center stem in a three jaw and leveled the forks horizontally and measured from the bed to the fork on both. That was the only way we could tell a diference. Dan

bmwmyplace

R 42 R 52 wheelbase

Post by bmwmyplace »

Dan then it seems that your wheel base is correct according to the drawing in BMW archives @1410mm so yes I am sure that mine has had a big shunt in about 1955 when was then laid up till 1960 then repaired. but in those days data was imposible to find. thanks for your help I hope to register it next week regards Peter

VBMWMO

R 42 R 52 wheelbase

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi all for some time now I have be trying to figure as to why my front fender almost hits the exhaust system and is only abot 3mm off the down tube...I thought it was was because it was a wrong fender, which it is but not only...

Looking throught the archives thanks Darryl and Robin, I found that the wheel base should be 1410 for r 42 and 1400 for R52 ...so they are not quite the same...any ideas anyone, is the difference in the front leading link. how long is yours :oops: mine is center to centre about 85mm, thats centre pivot point to centre grease nipple.. Also the hoop that pushes the leaf spring up is leaning back , so I figure my front end is about 35mm to far to the rear....Oh such fun....No problem when I can confirm the frame data and fork data Ill fix it ...can anyone help with information drawings etc Please... Peter G
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.