If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R42 rear drive oil fill plug

olebmw

Post by olebmw »

Peter, I've been in this club since the early 80's and you are the first guy that I've had conversation with that makes some of his own parts.
The thread pitch on my R42 final drive fill plug measure 1.5 and the outside thread diameter measures .705". The wrench size is 17 mm and the hex is .185" tall. Under the hex is a flange that is .925" dia. and .095" thick. From the bottom of the flange to the bottom of the threads measures .340".Overall height is .615".The center of the plug is bored out about .545" deep and .482" dia. if your so inclined. I think this is the correct cap. The meat head I got the bike from had it screwed in the transmission detent plug hole and the detent pin actually poked a hole thru the cap. I hope this helps. Dan

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

:D thanks Dan now I can get some oil in there ,... I think you will find the Peter N. also is a dab hand at making things 8) just too shy to say so.

Dan did you get your speedo sorted out I have some pics of mine partly disassembled, mine is made of solid brass and the top just screws off. I have an early R42 Aug 26 and it also has the tea cup shaped head lamp which seems to go on the early bikes.....

Peter G

olebmw

Post by olebmw »

I hav'nt tackled the speedo yet. You are the first to say that it does screw apart. It has some serious wrench marks where someone has tried. I'm thinking a quick blast with the heat wrench may help. If that doesn't loosen it up I'll probably cut it off and make a new bezel. I would like to see your pictures if possible.

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

Send me your email addy and Ill send you some pics of mine but if it is not obvious that the bezel screws off it probably dosent they were two differnt types that I am aware of........ Im away for a couple of days Ill get back top you then Regards peter

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Its two years since I dismantled my rear drive .. :oops: yes poor form I know ...but what is worse is that I sent the plug for the oil filler, to the platters and cannot remember where I put it.

Is it is possible for some one to measure the OD, and measure the pitch, with a thread guage Im guessing that its about 1.25 mm as I need to make one thanks in advance .. Regards peter
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.