If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R42 Tail light / number plate bracket

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

This is an interesting topic to me, as I've spent some time poking in the BMW archives looking for photos to use for my R52.

Regarding the number plate, do you want one of the funny, straight ahead style plates? Leszek Lizwinski at Oldtimer Garage sells them. I bought one for my R52, but he sent me an R42 piece instead. I didn't realize it was for the wrong bike, however, until I mounted it and it was slightly bent by the leaf spring when the suspension compressed. I then made my own piece for my R52 by measuring several photos and scaling up. I cut it from mild steel with a band saw, had it powder coated black and painted the display area white, got some vinyl transfers made in Fette Fraktur font, and finally clear coated it. It was a learning experience for me.

(You're welcome to the R42 number plate for the cost of postage. I think it can probably be repaired, but I am not an experienced metal worker.)

Regarding taillights, do you know what's correct for your bike? I have yet to find a photo for an R52 with sufficient detail to understand exactly what the correct taillight looks like. I'm pretty sure that the Bosch JN3 taillight, which is correct for the period, is not what BMW put on the R52 and other bikes of '28-'30. I am using it because it works with my modern California license plate, however. (Lizwinski sells nice repros of this, too.)

In this photo you can see both the R42 plate (and why it got bent over the first bump) and the JN3 taillight:

--Darryl Richman

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

Darryl , thanks for the reply.. yes I have a front number plate thanks for the kind offer , I also have a replica JN3 from leszek ( made of steel the orignals were brass) and half of an original one found in New Zealand.

what I cant find out is what the number plate and tail light SUPPORT bracket looks like I have an idea but it is just that KInd Regards Peter

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Oh, I see. You know, these bikes never had a number plate like we use today, only the pedestrian slicer on the front. Anything you set up will attract the attention of the dreaded originality police.

My R52 came with the number plate support already mounted on the fender. It lookes like the number plate support that was stock on an R12, for example.

To mount the JN3, I cut out a piece of steel the size of a US style motorcycle number plate. I used this to mount the actual plate. But I also cut it out so there was a tab in the center, that stood up above where the plate mounts, and I drilled two holes in it for the JN3 mount. I used two M3 or M4 (don't recall exactly) bolts to mount it.

Because the tab is short and the steel is stout, there's no vibration passed on from the taillight and I don't think it will fatigue.

I didn't know the JN3 was made of brass, but I suppose that since it's nickel plated, only the weight might give it away.
--Darryl Richman

olebmw

Post by olebmw »

WHAT...Am I reading this correctly?? We have a new member that is capable of making his own parts? Don't you know that if you need pre-war parts that you are supposed to fly to the Fatherland and pick them up in person.
Hello Peter, I have a rear plate bracket for an R42 and would be happy to send you the deminsions. I have yet to mount it as it is a big honkin thing that looks about five times to big for the bike. I don't know if it is correct or not. A guy in Oklahoma had his friend in Europe make some a while back. I don't know where the tail light mounts on it and see no way to attach the bottom of the bracket to the fender with out distorting both. I will probably use a rubber spacer if I ever mount the thing. About the only special tool you will need is a sheet metal bead roller. Let me know if you want the measurements. Dan

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

Dan thanks for that. what about a photo first, and yes I play with sheet metal a bit and have bead rollers or as we call them Jennys and also swage rollers etc ( I would send you a pic of my alloy bodied three wheeled cycle car if I knew how to post a pic)

I have made the actual numberplate the same as the R17 one I have but the bracket that holds the num plate and tail light appears to be different... I could be wrong...often am :D thanks

Regards peter G

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I was looking through the BMW historical archives (for another thread here) and found this photo, from a bike show or display. I think this is what you're looking for, Paul!

There's no info at the archives site about when the photo is from or what show this is. But I've got to believe it's from at earliest, the 30s some time, maybe the late 30s. Check out the tail light on bike in the foreground, it's one of the Eber lights that were used on the tube frame bikes from 1936.
--Darryl Richman

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

Darryl thanks thats lose enough for me I get make today and see what I can turn out regards Peter BTW great Pics

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

Sorry about that, its a case of mind running ahead of fingers :oops: Peter G

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi all just joined the group, its great to have a group of like minde souls...

Q I need to get a close up pic or sketch of a number plate and tail light bracket, for my 1926 R42, I have an R12 one and a spare number plate but I cant see if the bracket are the same can anyone help as I need to fabricate one.... of course I can make do with a bent piece of metal but if I can make it correctly the first time that would be great Thanks in anticiopation Peter
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.