If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Parts

Darryl.Richman

Parts

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Mark, I think you've already found what there is in the way of pre-50s parts in the US. I've been able to get a few things for my R12 from Vech and Blue Moon, but when push comes to shove, I have to go overseas. Unfortunately, many places over there don't speak English (not really a surprise, but it does make things difficult) and don't take credit cards.

You might try Motorrad Stemler or Uli's Motorradladen for starters. I had a look at Dreher Oldtimerteile, but he hasn't got much for R35s, it would seem.

There was a discussion a while back on the Kradrider list about octane ratings and such. The wartime R12s have "OZ74" cast into their heads, indicating that the motor was set up for 74 octane (oktanzahl), which was the standard gasoline for the Wehrmacht. I have to admit that I didn't follow it too closely, especially after it got into mixing some diesel into regular pump gas to lower the octane rating. As I understand it, using higher octane gas than is required by an engine is just wasting its properties. Your R35, being an OHV motor, may be more sensitive than the low compression side valve R12.

If you're concerned about (the lack of) lead in gas, my understanding is that it's not a critical thing at all. What I understand is that lead wasn't actually added to most European gas until the 1960s.

Of course, all of this is second hand knowledge to me, and if anyone wants to straighten me out here, I would very much appreciate it!
--Darryl Richman

markaliquo

wiring harness question

Post by markaliquo »

Hi,
I picked up a wiring harness for my bike (1937 r35) and wired up the headlight bucket but...my bike had no wires at all...So, I am not sure where is the best place for the bulk of the wires to enter the frame..Currently I brought it in through by the BMW symbol near the gas tank and along the top of the frame. But that would mean the wires would drop down to the battery and horn. Should I just run the wires along the inside of the frame and down and bring the wires up..
Mark
i have a 1937(or so) BMW R35 and need advice.

VBMWMO

Parts

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi,
I have been finding most of the parts I need from Benchworks and BlueMoon. Are there other places around the country to find parts for an R35. I still can not find the coffee lid sized cap that goes over the points. I also picked up a spare parts catalog if anyone needs it.

Could someone advise me about the type of gas to use for this bike.
Mark
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.