If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

repro r12 cylinders

dBDawg

repro r12 cylinders

Post by dBDawg »

Is there a reason no one makes repros of these cylinders? Or have I just not found them? Or did i just cross the purist line? lol.

Anyways, Seems like a needed part, but i could be wrong.

I'm just trying to determine if it's worth developing [further] and just wanted some input. I have a quote to get some made, but i don't have means to machine them or an engine to test them.

The only reason i've gone down this road is because the cost to repair my original cylinders is easily reduced with only small scaling of new quantities and my experience of getting them repaired in the states was rather frustrating and long winded. I didn't think i'd get them back at one point and it led me to reverse engineering it. But after 2 and 1/2 years, i got the cylinders back and the workmanship was spectacular. However, the experience was not fun.

if this seems worth it, I suppose I'm wondering if anyone's interested in donating machining and testing on an engine in the end. or has an r11 or r12 engine case they'd like to sell me.

Thanks for reading.
1934 R11

dBDawg

Re: repro r12 cylinders

Post by dBDawg »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cylinder welder in the states? I'm in CA. These were heavily welded for repair, so it doesn't surprise me this one did crack in some regard probably from welding stresses - tho disappointing to say the least.
IMG_3700.JPG
Thanks,
1934 R11

jimkav

Post by jimkav »

Jeff Moore steered me towards Q & E machine shop (714 630-5720) in Anaheim for my post war bmw.
Highly recommend Q&E and Jeff Moore for bmw repair.
Both seem straight up and transparent with costs

dBDawg

Post by dBDawg »

Thanks. appreciate the recommendation. Jeff assembled my engine, tho didn't have anything to do with the cylinder repair originally. good to hear the recommendation comes from him.
1934 R11

TaosTwinCam

Post by TaosTwinCam »

Hi: Just found your post from last summer. Probably late to the game.. I have a pair of nice R12 cylinders with new pistons that i will sell, if you still have need. Todd Rasmussen 405 769 1179 or bmwmotovintage@yahoo.com

jhovel

Post by jhovel »

Won't be cheap no matter how you go about making very small scale replicas.
Modern 3-D scanning and CNC machining from solid using the resulting CAD model is probably the easiest and cheapest these days.
I've gone down that rabbit hole with replicas plastic parts using my 3-D scanner and 3-D resin printer a few times now. Tedious and time consuming to get to CAM stage, but then straightforward for manufacture on demand.
Just my 2cents' worth.