If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R 35 and maybe R2/3/4 speedo drive

cwf

R 35 and maybe R2/3/4 speedo drive

Post by cwf »

Hello, I have an R 35 (340cc single) which has a gearbox similar to the R 2/3/4 and maybe others. My problem is that, to remove the gears, I have to remove the speedo drive worm. I think this is an interference fit on the main shaft. I've tried heat and there's very little room to lever the worm away from the bearing. New worms and driven gear are about 150 Euros. Has anyone done this? Any ideas?

Thanks, Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

cwf

Re: R 35 and maybe R2/3/4 speedo drive

Post by cwf »

In case anyone comes up against this problem, here's how (or not): I visited a friend with oxy/acetylene and that, combined with sharpened screwdrivers as levers and some violence, succeeded.

The mainshaft would still not come out, so we managed to extract the output bearing but still no joy. Then we drove out the layshaft axle from the clutch side. This allowed those gears to drop, which allowed the mainshaft out. Beware the spacers on both shafts. Maybe the bearing can be left in place if the layshaft is dropped first.

The speedo drive gear has blued, so maybe the temper has been disturbed. There was something on the output bearing, maybe a seal, not present on the inner side, which has burned. Now to see if I can work on the good box without damaging anything.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.