If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

BMW R35

luca.stere

BMW R35

Post by luca.stere »

Hi guys,

After this forum was updated my other topic about BMW R35 was "broken" and I can't fix it. So I will begin another one and I will ask the admin to delete that one. This was the bike:
Attachments
bmw-r35_13.jpg
bmw-r35_11.jpg
bmw-r35_10.jpg
bmw-r35_9.jpg
bmw-r35_8.jpg
bmw-r35_7.jpg
bmw-r35_5.jpg
bmw-r35_3.jpg
bmw-r35_2.jpg
bmw-r35_1.jpg

scottiesharpe

Re: BMW R35

Post by scottiesharpe »

Looks like a nice project. We are also working on an R35 at Scottie's Workshop. Big project due to the bike being in poor condition. Many sub-projects in the restoration, including crankshaft, cases, new forks, new rims, ring and pinion, 2 gearboxes into one, custom nickel plating, glasurit paint, custom seat, custom stripes, etc. Here are some pics.
20200228_093125.jpg
20200303_142418.jpg
20200201_192708.jpg
a6fb3712-d757-43e9-b574-caebc1e0daa3.jpg
Scottie Sharpe, Proprietor
Scottie's Workshop, 3282 E Hwy 4, Murphys CA
Full Service Workshop for vintage and classic BMW Motorcycles http://blog.scottiesharpe.com

Interstellar0vdr

Post by Interstellar0vdr »

I don't have any helpful information to add, but I just wanted to say that the bike Luca.stere posted is one of the coolest bikes I've ever seen! If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost you to get that bike, which I assume you bought in it's current condition?

cwf

Post by cwf »

Hello,
I've bought an R35 in the UK. They were never imported here (rejected by the importers as gutless). My purchase turned out to be a collection of u/s parts dressed up to look like a near-complete bike (from Dutch Lion), so plenty to do. I bought an engine/gearbox from Belarus, which turned out to be a much better prospect. Still need entire final drive and many small parts, so will be going to Mannheim.
My initial engine/frame are from 1947 and the engine/gearbox from 1949. I'm not obsessed with pre-war or exact date or originality but I do want to know what I'm buying. Luca Stere has said on his youtube that, for instance, there is a lug on the crankcase above the crank to cam drive. This is on my 1949 but not 1947 engine. There are other differences, if someone can help with them. I also think I have later forks and front mudguard.
Best wishes, Charlie.
IMG_3434.JPG
IMG_3433.JPG
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

luca.stere

Post by luca.stere »

Interstellar0vdr wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:15 pm
I don't have any helpful information to add, but I just wanted to say that the bike Luca.stere posted is one of the coolest bikes I've ever seen! If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost you to get that bike, which I assume you bought in it's current condition?
It is not my bike and I don't know the price for the bike. Initialy the bike was incomplete, the owner made an efort to make it like you see in the pictures and functionaly but it was not in a good shape. So after he succeded to make it functional and with the proper documents he decided to rebuilt the bike. That is how and why this bike arrived in my garage in order to be rebuilt. I will show later the progresses that I have already made.

luca.stere

Post by luca.stere »

cwf wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:15 am
There are other differences, if someone can help with them. I also think I have later forks and front mudguard.
You have EMW R35 front fork and mudguard, is the east german improved copy of the BMW R35.

cwf

Post by cwf »

Thanks Luca, also on one engine the mounting for the contact breakers is on the alternator drive cover, on the other there is a spigot from the cam chain cover passing through the alternator cover. Then the spindle that screws into the crankshaft to hold the cam chain sprocket and the alternator drive pulley, one has teeth to locate the cam drive sprocket and the pulley is located with a woodruff key, the other has a hex and the pulley is held on a taper. One engine is '47, the other '49.
Charlie.
Attachments
IMG_3505.JPG
IMG_3504.JPG
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

luca.stere

Post by luca.stere »

cwf wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:00 pm
Then the spindle that screws into the crankshaft to hold the cam chain sprocket and the alternator drive pulley, one has teeth to locate the cam drive sprocket and the pulley is located with a woodruff key, the other has a hex and the pulley is held on a taper. One engine is '47, the other '49.
IMG_3505.JPG
The spindle from the right is the first model made before the war and it is threaded on the right: http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/catalog/pr ... ts_id=6497. The one on the left is the second model made after the war and is left threaded.

That means also you have also first and second model crankshafts, the puleys did not have keys on the tappered zone, is just an "improvement" because of the problems with the tappered zone.

cwf

Post by cwf »

Thanks again. Next problem is, I'd like to take the gearbox apart. There is a large bronze bush on the gearbox mainshaft, clutch side. I presume that's the first thing to remove (plus its 4 bolts). Is this an interference fit in the casting, so I have to heat the casting and tap the mainshaft from the final drive side?