If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Light beam switch cable operated

Topfmine

Light beam switch cable operated

Post by Topfmine »

Can anyone tell me if the light beam switch on BMW motorcycles, cable operated on the handlebars to a switch in the headlamp bucket just works the high and low beam on the headlamp, I assume a two way switch or does it do more and turn the lights on and off as well as high and low beam. To do the latter what type of switch is needed.

wa1nca

What year and model #

Post by wa1nca »

Can anyone tell me if the light beam switch on BMW motorcycles, cable operated on the handlebars to a switch in the headlamp bucket just works the high and low beam on the headlamp, I assume a two way switch or does it do more and turn the lights on and off as well as high and low beam. To do the latter what type of switch is needed.

From at least 1950-1969 the high/low beam switch also worked the horn

Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

Ian R11

Not sure which model exactly

Post by Ian R11 »

Not sure which model exactly you refer to, maybe your R71? The early bikes, R52/62/11/12 and R71? etc have a low beam/high beam toggle switch operated by cable as you describe. The headlamp and side lamp is turned on by a separate switch on the rear of the headlamp or as R12 and most later bikes by a key in the top of the headlamp.
The headlight should have a switch fitted into the top for the key. They are available.

Topfmine

Many thank for your replies.

Post by Topfmine »

Many thank for your replies. This is the switch that should operate the horn and the high and low beam. As for the horn i assume there is one wire from the horn to the bucket, the earth through the handle bars to chassis. A switch on the back of the headlight bucket or part of the ignition key. What does this early switch look like?
Attachments
bmw_switch.jpg
bmw_switch.jpg (78.16 KiB) Viewed 3176 times

Topfmine

How is the horn cable

Post by Topfmine »

How is the horn cable correctly wired in place around the handle bars to the bike loom and horn, is there a certain correct way.