If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Looking to sell my R62. Any idea what I should ask for it?

sblaylock

Looking to sell my R62. Any idea what I should ask for it?

Post by sblaylock »

I'm looking to sell my '28 R62 and I'm wondering what I should be asking. It's a numbers matching bike, with matching case halves. Serial number on transmission lower half matches engine serial. The only mismatch piece is the transmission cap. It's a different number.

Fully restored for the 2014 Cannonball - #62, and ran all but three days due to a final drive issue. That has now been sorted and I ride it regularly. The bike was concourse perfect at the start of the Cannonball, but the paint is showing it's 4000+ miles since then.

I'd appreciate any help in estimating what it's worth.

Thanks,
Scott.
Scott Blaylock
Stoney Peak BMW Service
Victoria, BC. Canada
BMW Classic and Vintage Motorcycle Service and Restoration
service@stoneypeak.com

brown3459

Auction results may be a good

Post by brown3459 »

Auction results may be a good place to start . If you log into MECUM you can search previous auctions. Of course comparing any similar bikes you find to yours may be difficult unless you personally know the bike. A dealer friend who buys and sells regularly at auctions told me he has found some nasty surprises inside the mechanics of very nice looking auction bikes he has bought.
Your bike sounds like a beauty and I recall you went to a lot of trouble to make it right. Should be worth a premium. Good luck with the sale.
Barry Brown
Canada

Bigsieuk

Mecum

Post by Bigsieuk »

Try this link from 2016:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0816-244629/1928-bmw-r62/

I agree with Barry 100%, a significant uplift on the value by being able to tell and evidence the potential buyer what they are actually buying makes a big difference. Also vintage BMW values are definitely on the rise.

Regards

John

sblaylock

Thanks

Post by sblaylock »

Thanks for the feedback. I did follow the one at Mecum, but BMWs don't always do well there and as mentioned, without knowing the bike you can end-up with empty case halves.

Barry, You are familiar with this bike as I bought it from Wolf way back when.

Scott.
Scott Blaylock
Stoney Peak BMW Service
Victoria, BC. Canada
service@stoneypeak.com

brown3459

HI Scott ,I wasn't sure if

Post by brown3459 »

HI Scott ,I wasn't sure if that was the one Wolf had but now I know! I went over to look at it when Wolf acquired it and at that time thought it looked pretty nice. Other than that, I have no knowledge about it so why not give him a call? I think he told me he imported it from the Netherlands but my memory ain't what it used to be !
Barry Brown
Canada

sblaylock

He bought the bike from John

Post by sblaylock »

He bought the bike from John Landstrom, of Blue Moon Cycles. John had brought it in from Europe with several other vintage bikes.

One of the most memorable things for me that happened on the 2014 Cannonball, was when John, also on an R62, and I were riding side by side on our two R62s through a park on our way to Cape Girardeau. We rode together on several occasions, but that time on a one way road through a national park was the most memorable.
Scott Blaylock
Stoney Peak BMW Service
Victoria, BC. Canada
service@stoneypeak.com

fernandez6246

bmw r62

Post by fernandez6246 »

let me know when your ready to sell,i have a friend that's interested in a prewar bike.
my email:bushlach2@comcast.net
thanks,chris
Christian Fernandez

brown3459

these type of memories are

Post by brown3459 »

these type of memories are priceless.
Barry Brown
Canada

R68

I dunno...

Post by R68 »

...and my opinion is worth squat, but I think a nice R69S should bring 25 and a nice R68 should bring 50 and a nice R5 should bring 75 and a nice R17 should bring 100...and a side valve tubular twin that's "nice" should be more desirable than an R68 and less desirable than an R5 and so...anyway, hope no one is offended!

friday

sprocket

Post by friday »

these type of memories are priceless.

Hi Barry check PM , I need to ask about a certain sprocket taper , cheers