If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Looking for a complete R12 wheel

Bigsieuk

Looking for a complete R12 wheel

Post by Bigsieuk »

I've seen R12 hubs on Ebay.de, spokes and rims on various supplier websites, but does anyone have/sell a complete R12 wheel in good condition?

Regards

John

spider rust

John, the issue you will find

Post by spider rust »

John, the issue you will find with an original wheel are age issues. They have rolled rims, you can't soak them in any rust killing fluids
and the interior of the rolled rim will need treating. Both my rims are original and the hubs, I shy away from copies and much prefer original parts, but you need to be dedicated to restore them. Its easy to buy new spokes and nipples from RRC Tuning, bearings you can buy locally but you'll need the ring nuts from RRC and poss the bearing spacers. The rims will be full of corrosion, sandblast the rims, then drill 2 holes about 3mm diagonally opposed and tapping as you rotate with a rubber mallet the rust will pour out.
I'll follow with the next stage.

spider rust

Original wheels

Post by spider rust »

There is a product which will kill the rust, stabilise and seal the surface, you can then fill the holes and proceed to spoking, truing the rim and fitting
to an original drum if the wall thickness will allow setting up and machining to the radius of new bonded brake linings.
Before you spoke get the drums checked and machined for the new linings. Make sure you tell the spoker to file down the cut spoke end
without damaging the nipples, mine wasn't.

Goodluck.

Bigsieuk

Thanks

Post by Bigsieuk »

Thanks for the response, I've been the look out for good condition original wheel rims and hubs. A few hubs are on Germen Ebay.

Pictures of rims can indicate the condition, but its not until you hold them in your hand that you can really assess condition. Maybe a visit to Veterama is necessary.

My concern I suppose is not seeing that inside rust and running the risk.

Once again, thanks for the response.

Regards

John

spider rust

Rim rust

Post by spider rust »

Take a rubber mallet with you to tap the rims as you rotate them!, but I would suggest you ask Wolfgang, RRC Tuning, at least you should know what you are getting.
Goodluck and good on you!

betjemann4277

BMW R12 wheels

Post by betjemann4277 »

Hi John,

We have what we believe to be two original R12 wheels available. Both were apparently sand blasted before we acquired them and so have a light coating of surface rust. The brake friction surfaces of both hubs look good. The original bearings are still installed. The drive splines on one are excellent and perhaps 50% worn on the other. On our wheel balancing stand there is remarkably little vertical or lateral run out, certainly no real dents that would interfere with truing..

I have no idea where you are located, but if not too far from NH you are welcome to stop by to look at the two wheels. We also have a number of other R12 parts.

Christopher Betjemann
Barrington Motor Works
Barrington, NH

spider rust

R12 Parts

Post by spider rust »

Your offer to John sounds interesting. and you mentioned the splines which I did not, without wishing to queue jump, which I will not, what original R12 parts do you hold. To see original parts is always very interesting and of great value for the archives for future research.

spider rust

Brake drums

Post by spider rust »

I forgot to add, that if the drum brake surface is too worn under braking the drums expand and braking efficiency is severly compromised. Single leading shoe brakes are always a challenge for the rider or driver, when true vintage driving skills have to be employed vigorously!!

Bigsieuk

Thanks for advice

Post by Bigsieuk »

Thanks Christopher,

NH might be a bit too far for me to pop by. I'm in the UK.

But I bet NH is lovely this time of year. One day I'll visit maybe . . .

Thanks for the advice Spider.

I've bought a wheel on Ebay (fingers crossed) and we'll see when it gets here. It looks good in the pictures (famous last words).

Regards

John