If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R11 gear box oil

C.K

R11 gear box oil

Post by C.K »

What kind of oil is recommended for R11 gear box and final drive?

KillerTux

Traditionally the

Post by KillerTux »

Traditionally the transmission and final drive will take the same oil as the engine (10W40/20W50) You can move to a gear oil for the transmission and final drive if you are not comfortable with just engine oil. Silkolene makes a Light Gear Oil that is like 10W40.

schrader7032

An R12 riders handbook

Post by schrader7032 »

An R12 riders handbook mentions Gargoyle Mobiloil BB for the gearbox and Gargoyle Mobiloil D for the final drive. Are there equivalents for that oil today?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Ian R11

I believe SAE 30 was

Post by Ian R11 »

I believe SAE 30 was specified for winter and SAE 40 for summer use in engine and gearbox. I guess with your location the summer use would be good choice.
You need an oil suitable for these old engines with low detergent, this allows the sludge to fall to the sump as the early engine has no filter and the later one with filter only filters at 25% rate.
I use Morris oils they have an informative web site and ship but don’t know if they go international. Look for the classic and steam section.The site is instructive on the types of oil available. Miller oils also have similar products and I’m sure others will as well maybe more local to you.
I’m using their gearbox oil, non EP, it’s safe to use with bronze bushes these early gearboxes have. Mine is good with SAE 90 gearbox oil, I believe this is a similar viscosity to SAE40 engine oil. I use SAE 140 gearbox oil in the final drive and happy with that.
I don’t know if you have found an answer to your speedo cable length, if not I will be able to measure mine in a few weeks when I can get to the bike, it’s currently in storage until I move house.

Hans

I agree: engine: sae40,

Post by Hans »

I agree:
engine: sae40,
gearbox and rearwheeldrive sae140 gl4 .

C.K

Thank you Ian I still need

Post by C.K »

Thank you Ian
I still need the speedo cable length .
well I think I will use gear box oil for the R11.
on my R51 I have positive experience with gear oil 80w90.shifting is much better compare to SAE 40 in the transmission.