If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Correct wiring for late pre-war BMW bikes

Topfmine

Correct wiring for late pre-war BMW bikes

Post by Topfmine »

What is the correct type of wiring for R12 and R71 bikes or any other BMW of that era, is it cloth covered in a cloth covered tape for multiple wires, I have seen some wartime models with plastic covered wiring like modern stuff but knowing how advanced and clever the Germans where in their technology I wondered if their wiring was similar to modern day plastic coated wiring or was just vintage cloth. Need to get detail like this correct as the wiring runs along the outside of the fender for all the critics to see.

Bigsieuk

Wiring

Post by Bigsieuk »

What little original wiring that I've come across on my R12's was cloth. There are retailers out there that sell cloth looms.

Are you planning to rebuild the engine on the R12?

Whereabouts in the UK are you? I'm in Surrey.

John

speight1823

Re war electrics

Post by speight1823 »

I have an original 22 page Bosch manual on pre war ( Around 1938 ) electrics with lots of drawings of original electrical bits .
I don't really collect this stuff so it it wasted on me but I thought if there was a club on line library of BMW information a I would gladly donate it . Failing that if someone would like to donate some money to one of the local charities in South Africa I would send it to them.
Bill
Attachments
bosch.jpg
bosch.jpg (279.58 KiB) Viewed 1913 times

Topfmine

Hi John not sure if my friend

Post by Topfmine »

Hi John not sure if my friend wants to have a look at the engine on the R12 as its working fine, don't fix it if it ain't broke as the saying goes, I think he is more interested in tidying it up as it looks a mess as there are a lot of bits on it that are not original. I am in the process of putting a CJ750 ( most probably a big swear word amongst forum members here) back to its R71 configuration, it's easy to do but it's the detail that I need to research to do it hence this excellent site for reference details. I live in Hampshire.
Bill your book looks interesting for references would be worth its weight in gold if you copied and sold the info. Not sure what you want for it.

speight1823

Pre War Bosch Motorcycle manual

Post by speight1823 »

Will get it professionally scanned.
How can I get this so that anyone in the club can access it?
It would be interesting to anyone restoring a prewar BMW of 1938 or so .
I don't want to make any money on this.
Our internet is seriously slow so I will have to send it over in batches.
If anyone wants the original they can make an offer .
Bill