If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Brakelight Switch on Early Bikes?

Barry Robin

Brakelight Switch on Early Bikes?

Post by Barry Robin »

Wondering: what's the standard workaround to install a brake light circuit switch on the R42's to R11/16's before they had stop lamps?

Sure, everyone with an early bike has it rewired for a stoplamp-but you still need a switch somewhere.

So where do you introduce a switch on your prewar bikes that have the clamshell rear brakes? Any model from an R12 on uses a rod connector for the rear brake, so that's an easy thing to rig up-but what do you do for a bike that doesn't have that option?

I'm using an inline lucas switch attached to my front brake cable. It works but you can't adjust when the light comes on-and it's ugly as hell, too.

Has anyone ever offered a more elegant solution for sale or perhaps an adapter for the rear clamshell?

-B

sblaylock

Darryl's R52

Post by sblaylock »

Have a look at what Darryl did for his R52. I did the same thing on my R62 and it works perfectly.

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/8629

Ian set his R11 up this way:

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/8675

Hope this helps,
Scott.

Scott Blaylock
Stoney Peak BMW Service
Victoria, BC. Canada
BMW Classic and Vintage Motorcycle Service and Restoration
service@stoneypeak.com

Barry Robin

Thanks Scott-both great

Post by Barry Robin »

Thanks Scott-both great solutions. But because I've lost my access to tools and a workshop, I'd have to find a more Plug and Play solution that pretty much involves just bolting it on and some wiring.

Ian, if you're reading this...can you be persuaded to make one up?

-B

Ian R11

Hi Barry and Scott Sorry I

Post by Ian R11 »

Hi Barry and Scott

Sorry I can't help with the bracket for some time as my bikes and workshop gear is packed away while I build myself a new house and workshop. Should be done by March 18! I can't even give you dimensions as I'm away for a couple of weeks, so loads of help from me. If you need dimensions I can get to the bike 2nd week of September, let me know.
The bracket is simple to make, flat piece of ally and two holes drilled one slotted a little for adjustment. Could be bent with two pairs of grips or in a vice. The switch was available at the first motorcycle parts place I went to.

sblaylock

Stock Switch

Post by sblaylock »

The switch that I used came stock with the attachment to the frame tube so it was plug-n-play. All I did was add lock wire from the switch plunger to the brake for it to be activated when I stepped on the brake lever. This is what Darryl shows in picture 1 if you look closely. I got my switch from Vech at Bench Mark Works.

Scott.
Scott Blaylock
Stoney Peak BMW Service
Victoria, BC. Canada
BMW Classic and Vintage Motorcycle Service and Restoration
service@stoneypeak.com

Barry Robin

Hi Ian-congrats on the new

Post by Barry Robin »

Hi Ian-congrats on the new house project.

Both ideas are great. But it looks like the one on Vech's R52 might not work because the battery tray is in the way on an R11/16. the one by Ian is the simplest way to go. Just for the sake of it I checked with Vech and unfortunately I was right about the battery tray problem, and besides, all his old stock is gone. And no, he said he ain't gonna make up some durned 'ol bracket without my bike sitting in front of him...

Ian: Do you recall which model switch you got, or which scooter it's off of? I looked around online and only found one listing for it-in the UK, without a stock number. The local guys say they can't visually identify it.

-B

Ian R11

I will find out when I'm back

Post by Ian R11 »

I will find out when I'm back in the UK and let you know.

Ian R11

Info given on switch I used.

Post by Ian R11 »

Info given on switch I used.

Brake Light Switch Yamaha YN50 Neos (2T) 2010 (Front) part numbers below, don't know why there are two.
5JHH39802100
5JHH39802200

I can measure the bracket if you need but I believe the battery trays are slightly different for each series, maybe not correct if I do.
The hole in the bracket holding the switch is threaded (6mm from memory) and the other one under is slotted clear to allow some adjustment as the brake is adjusted.

Attachments
img_0460.jpg
img_0460.jpg (46.67 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

Barry Robin

Thanks Ian! I'll go do the

Post by Barry Robin »

Thanks Ian! I'll go do the dealer thing. As to the bracket, I should think that it'd be as simple as flat bar, bend, drill, Bob's your uncle...

-B