If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Rear mudguard wiring clips

speight1823

Rear mudguard wiring clips

Post by speight1823 »

I need wiring clips to secure the external wires to the rear mudguard of my 1951 R51/3 , 1938 R51 and R61.
I got the photo below from a friend in the UK . He does not know what model the clips are for.
Are these clips pre war or post war or are they the same ?
If different could some one post a picture of the correct wiring clips , 1938 and 1951.
Bill
Attachments
dunn_wiring_clips.jpg
dunn_wiring_clips.jpg (42.87 KiB) Viewed 3092 times

DasMotorrad

The clips they were prewar

Post by DasMotorrad »

The clips they were prewar R51/R66... and post war only for R51/2. The clips were the same.
Andrea - Modena - Italy
R only R of Munich

speight1823

Clips

Post by speight1823 »

Thanks for your help.
I need to order enough for 3 bikes.
Did not want to get the wrong type.

Bruce Frey

I have always thought that

Post by Bruce Frey »

I have always thought that R51/71 used the same folded wire clips held on by two small rivets as R5/6 and that the "single hole" clips pictured were for early postwar bikes.

I have original Handbuchs in both English and German and there is a photo showing the removal of the rear wheel where the tail light wire is visible. While the printing is not very high resolution, it appears to me that the wire clips are larger than the "single hole" clips, leading me to think they are the folded clips.

Unfortunately, my R71 does not have an original fender to go by. Can anyone with an original R51/71 fender confirm the type of wire clips?

I'd like to know for sure which is correct.

Cheers,

Bruce

DasMotorrad

Hello Bruce, i can confirm

Post by DasMotorrad »

Hello Bruce,
i can confirm that for R51/R66/R71 there are clips.
i have an original rear fender with holes from my R66 (ref.pink point) and i saw an original R71 of a friend they have clips.
i bought a lot of HR pictures from BMW for restore my R66 and also in this pictures appear the clips

Andrea - Modena - Italy
R only R of Munich

Bruce Frey

Thanks!! That information

Post by Bruce Frey »

Thanks!! That information will help when I get around to doing my R71 fender.

Cheers,

Bruce

speight1823

Clips.

Post by speight1823 »

Ah . So the washer fits on the outside of the clips. Interesting . I would have put them on the inside in ignorance.

Das Motorrad , Could you help a non computer literate by giving me details of where you get the photo,s from BMW.

I must say that living where I do I find this group invaluable in getting information about pre-war BMW's . Thanks guys .
Bill
South Africa

DasMotorrad

Bill, if you send me PVT msg

Post by DasMotorrad »

Bill,
if you send me PVT msg I can explain, by mail.
The pics are bought from BMW archive and aren't cheapest :(

Andrea - Modena - Italy
R only R of Munich

Topfmine

Excellent photo showing the

Post by Topfmine »

Excellent photo showing the clip positions, just the type of pictures for reference I need. Do you know how many clips are needs on the rear fender on the R 71 to be sure and the spacing and hight the holes are cut for the clips from the edge of the fender. I have seen the outside wiring attached tight along the edge on some bikes and not half way up from the edge as shown. As for spare clips you can get them from Oldtimer garage in Poland, the clips are held in at the back with rubber washers. They work out at around 3 euro's each.
Just noticed that the rear fender light bracket has round headed bolts to attach to the fender. This is the type of detail I am looking for restoring a bike, most probably would have fitted normal bolts. Are there any other rounded nuts on these bikes that would other wise be replaced with normal bolts.

brown3459

love this picture. What make

Post by brown3459 »

love this picture. What make is the tire? "Full Balloon" I would like to purchase some photos as well although I doubt any exist for a 1931 R16.
Barry Brown
Canada