If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

BW 38 onto R12

Bigsieuk

BW 38 onto R12

Post by Bigsieuk »

I've progressed well with my sidecar project, having found a BW38 and a Zundapp chassis. The only issue I have is that the front adjustable brace needs to be way longer than the current ones available. I need a front adjustable brace that can be 650mm centre to centre. Is the front braces on the BMW R75 sidecar that long or does anyone know where I can get a brace that long?

Regards

John
Attachments
side_car_fitted.jpeg
side_car_fitted.jpeg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1460 times

Slash2

Very Cool!

Post by Slash2 »

I'm of absolutely no help in your hunt for the longer brace, but I just wanted to mention your rig looks great! If the hunt becomes too tedious and you want that thing out of your garage, just let me know I'll be happy to help! :-C

As a guy who's been casually looking for a Zundapp, but finding almost nothing listed anywhere, is there an outlet for these bikes somewhere or what?
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

Bigsieuk

I'm sure if you ask my wife

Post by Bigsieuk »

I'm sure if you ask my wife nicely she will let you take it at a very good price!

They do come up on carandclassic.co.uk every now and then, milweb.net sometimes have one and Dutch Lion motorcycles have them occasionally BUT it's a definite case of buyer beware. You'll find a yahoo forum called Kradrider where ther is lots of good advice and I'm sure there will be a vintagezundapp forum out there too.

As with any vintage motorcycle, but particularly wartime German bikes, there are a lot of thing to be wary of. You will never really know what you have bought until you have stripped it down. There are a few put together bikes and the quality of some of repro parts can be poor. From the BMW side I can say that a good restored R12 motorbike (without sidecar) with good parts would have at least £18k put into it with a sale value of a bit more. With Zundapps they might be even more expensive because of their numbers out there.

It's really a case of doing your research and not letting your heart rule your head - like I haven't done every time!

Bigsieuk

460mm brace

Post by Bigsieuk »

I've managed to relocate one of the mounting points so all I need now is a brace that is 460mm lone c to c. Anyone know of one that long?