If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Prewar transmission gears - R11

Barry Robin

Hey Ian, If you find a

Post by Barry Robin »

Hey Ian, If you find a supplier or builder for the later mesh transmission, let me know. Maybe we can go in halfies and reduce the costs a tad.

And I wonder if the later parts will fit an earlier series case. ('31/series III)? Man, what I wouldn't give to have a transmission that doesn't howl like banshee and make children cry.

Then all I'd have to complain about would be figuring out how to insert and retrofit the innards of a postwar muffler into the casing of the stock R11/16...

Ian R11

Barry, I can't be 100%

Post by Ian R11 »

Barry, I can't be 100% certain that the gearbox internals are interchangeable as I've never tried, but my guess is they are. The only difference I could see between the two gearboxes are the mounting point locations on the casing for attaching to the engine.

Finding one of these later boxes and swapping internals may be the best way to stop frightening the kids, they rebuild exactly the same way as the earlier version. While the main shaft and second gears are available for the early ones I don't know of any parts for the later ones apart from a few bushes from Torsten Tausch, can't understand why, they produced more S5's than other series. Like Darryl suggests try them.

Your comments on the mufflers made me smile, before my father died he was making some for the R11. This was in the 70's, in the Uk, and at a time when his R11 was the only known R11 in our little universe, and anything needed would have to be made. I remember them well, all stainless, inside the main outer tube they had a small chamber to the front feeding six smaller tubes held in place with a baffle front and back. All the tubes were different length and with a hole facing sideways close to the end of the blocked off tubes. I can't say for certain where this design idea came from but his other hobby was making bagpipes! Unfortunately for me they didn't look authentic and I never tried them, I know I really should have, it may have played "Flower of Scotland" note perfect

deyoung2837

Hello, I just acquired to R11

Post by deyoung2837 »

Hello,

I just acquired to R11 barn finds. Both will need some transmission parts. Any sources?

Lee

dBDawg

Lee, I have a series 5 and I

Post by dBDawg »

Lee, I have a series 5 and I can't find any transmission parts so I'm making them myself. I have the whole transmission shaft and gear set modeled, but it's going to take some time to develop unless I win the lottery. I'll post my findings as things progress
1934 R11

deyoung2837

Hello, I am looking for

Post by deyoung2837 »

Hello,

I am looking for
Bevel speedo gear that goes on output shaft to cable, # G 56 H 1.
Bevel gear speedo that goes on the main drive output shaft, # G 56 E 7.
Gear for Kickstarter, # G 56 F2.

Thanks,

Lee
Attachments
kickstart-gear-b.png
kickstart-gear-b.png (53.21 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
speedo-gear-b.jpg
speedo-gear-b.jpg (3.85 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
speedo-gear-a.jpg
speedo-gear-a.jpg (6.11 KiB) Viewed 2709 times

dBDawg

Is this Flange Thickness Right?

Post by dBDawg »

Can anyone with an R11/62 transmission confirm if the flange on the right bearing case in the picture below is the correct thickness. It appears to me that someone at some point turned it down to be thinner. It's missing about 2mm to be flush with the case. Thanks
Attachments
bmw_r11_opfbc.jpg
bmw_r11_opfbc.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2709 times
1934 R11

deyoung2837

Hello, Did you ever end up

Post by deyoung2837 »

Hello,

Did you ever end up making your 1st gear?
Both of my R11's could use one.
Also need a kickstart flange, mine has a 1/16 in of slop.

Take care,

Lee Deyoung

dBDawg

I did. Here's a picture of it

Post by dBDawg »

I did. Here's a picture of it in place. I ended up machining a new bearing case too. I think my gear indexer is a remake and the divots are not in the original locations as my 1 st, N, and 2nd positions don't line up quite right, so I have to remake that as well.

I ended up reusing my original kickstarter flange, so if you want to buy the printed one off me, you're welcome. It will have to be machined to finish sizes but the material is there at least.

Also, I'd be happy to get you a gear or two but would wait until you have just about everything else figured out. They are quite expensive and if I recall you had some serious welding to figure out. Any progress on that?
Attachments
bmwr11tindexer.jpg
bmwr11tindexer.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2709 times
bmwr11tbearingc.jpg
bmwr11tbearingc.jpg (990.02 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
bmwr11t04.jpg
bmwr11t04.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 2709 times
1934 R11

VintageSalesandRestorations

R11 gears

Post by VintageSalesandRestorations »

Very nice looking work!

Jeff

deyoung2837

Making new kickstarter gear

Post by deyoung2837 »

Hello,

Nice looking gear, good job.
My transmission case is on temp hold while I make a new kickstart gear.
Picture of old gear, lathe with indexing fixture, and new gear in chuck being broached.

I am interested in the kickstart flange, and 1st gear.
You can contact me at lee.deyoung@att.net

Take care,

Lee
Attachments
back.jpg
back.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2709 times
front.jpg
front.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2709 times
chuck.jpg
chuck.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
index.jpg
index.jpg (53.22 KiB) Viewed 2709 times