If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

bmw r51

lui

bmw r51

Post by lui »

Hello Guys!
My r51,same replika same original parts,its took me 1year to gather all this parts,i trying to build a motorike from it.
If anyone got same spare parts what i havent got im interesting to buy it.regards
Attachments
sam_5834.jpg
sam_5834.jpg (390.95 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
sam_5825.jpg
sam_5825.jpg (415.4 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
sam_5822.jpg
sam_5822.jpg (403.24 KiB) Viewed 2979 times

Pete Murphy

Good luck Lui. It should be a

Post by Pete Murphy »

Good luck Lui. It should be a lot of fun building that!

mdunn

I have just finished up a

Post by mdunn »

I have just finished up a 1939 BMW R51, serious money ahead of you my friend. Do it right, serious coin.

R68

You have an interesting

Post by R68 »

You have an interesting accumulation of parts there. It's curious that there is a 1937 pattern R5 front end on what would typically look to be a 1938-41 R51-R71 frame. Also, a seldom seen R5-R6 brake plate, and two motors neither with a visible regulator cover bracket stud. You may just have found a miscellaneous odd 'n ends collection, but I'd suggest you research the possibility that you have one of the 1937 R5 modified for the Dutch ISDT, after Norton made the "hard tail" R5 frame obsolete with their plunger frame. If you have this, especially if you have a motor case in the 1937 R5 range...then you have a very interesting motorcycle! BMW will tell you what you have, the email address is on this website.

lui

Thank you. its funn ,to meet

Post by lui »

Thank you. its funn ,to meet and talk ppl who got the same interest.
Still long way to go,i know.Of course if i can help with anythink im more than happy to do it. :D

lui

its true,mix of parts there

Post by lui »

its true,mix of parts there thats what i came across,,i didnt have enough money to buy complett project ...sadly
Engine case is r5 by number,the front one on the foto is early r5.Also got more spare for the engines.
I should consider look for r5 frame+drive+gearbox than build a r5,or just carry on than end up not original r51 mix,but also its reflect i do for as a hobby not for reselling,i have limited funds as well.

Thank you for the output,im think you right i should contact with bmw to find out.
regards

You have an interesting accumulation of parts there. It's curious that there is a 1937 pattern R5 front end on what would typically look to be a 1938-41 R51-R71 frame. Also, a seldom seen R5-R6 brake plate, and two motors neither with a visible regulator cover bracket stud. You may just have found a miscellaneous odd 'n ends collection, but I'd suggest you research the possibility that you have one of the 1937 R5 modified for the Dutch ISDT, after Norton made the "hard tail" R5 frame obsolete with their plunger frame. If you have this, especially if you have a motor case in the 1937 R5 range...then you have a very interesting motorcycle! BMW will tell you what you have, the email address is on this website

lui

The engine number belongs to

Post by lui »

The engine number belongs to a BMW R 5 which was manufactured on February 04th, 1937 and delivered on March 12th, 1937 to the BMW importer A.F.N. Limited, Falcon Works in London.

So is not a special engine.

R68

There is someone in Britain

Post by R68 »

There is someone in Britain who has documented the BMW sales by Archibald Frazer-Nash, and I've forgot his name, but have seen his list of BMW, including original purchasers! I was amazed at how many BMW were sold by AFN, even right up until to war. Those brits really liked their motorcycles? Anyway, do your research and you'll find that contact. As for what to do, Lesek at Oldtimer Garage can sell you an M72 rebuilt as R5 frame, and final drive and driveshaft are available in Germany, and you already have an R51/2 and '37-'41 gearbox on you photos, so you can build up both an R51 and an R5 from what you already have. Without too much effort/expense, you can build up this sorta fun thing if you wish, using your rare hard-to-find R5 motor and even rarer R5-R6 front end?
Attachments
l1007695.jpg
l1007695.jpg (4.48 MiB) Viewed 2979 times

lui

Thank you all the info. That

Post by lui »

Thank you all the info. That would be nice to know more history about the engine. Could you please point me out where to find afn sales lisf for bmw motorbikes?so far i find no lead..
I can see you have lots of knowledge of bmw im greatfull what you already said,been usefull for me.

THat oldtimergarage with leszek his frame poor finish i see it before,did not like it,could make rigid frame not hard to get hold of element for it.
My biggest problem were/is rare drive for rigid flat twin,i got complett almost ready to use r6 engine with gearbox so i not gona start build a r5,i always like it r51. Could be easy to build r6 what i got already.( i should sell on all the spare parts for another collector ,at least samebody alse could use them)

When i was talking about building fun thinks i meant to use replika parts ,so the bike wouldnt be original as it should be.
Bmw r 5 engine and front is not that rare i could say,last year at weterama i seen a few for sale.Original frame is really rare.Never seen one for sell yet so far.

Please if you can remember who got afn sale list i would be greatfull for your help.

Attachments
sam_4392.jpg
sam_4392.jpg (437.71 KiB) Viewed 2979 times

lui

r6 engine from afn

Post by lui »

r6 engine from afn england.
The previus owner used till early 1990(second owner since the bike was new) ,than he got r5 engine for the bike.swaped the engine ,sold on as r5 than he left with the r6 engine.Thats how i came across with it.
Attachments
sam_4176_2.jpg
sam_4176_2.jpg (443.7 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
sam_4393.jpg
sam_4393.jpg (436.58 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
sam_4394.jpg
sam_4394.jpg (428.18 KiB) Viewed 2979 times