If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Exhaust R11

norwaybike

Exhaust R11

Post by norwaybike »

Hi!
I work with the installation of the exhaust system on my R11 serie 4/5. Is the muffler after elbow pipe also attached to the footboard? Or is it just a bolt through? On the pictures I have it almost like it goes a bolt through the exhaust pipe which is screwed into the footrest underneath. Then with a spacer in between. Can anyone give me an explanation? Preferably with a picture or two.

Greetings from Norway, Frode

Ian R11

Which parts do you have? 4

Post by Ian R11 »

Which parts do you have? 4 and 5 are different exhaust system and fixing is different. Can you show photo?

norwaybike

Hi! Sorry my fault.. Correct

Post by norwaybike »

Hi!

Sorry my fault.. Correct question Ian.
It is serie 4.

Greetings, Frode

Ian R11

I hope someone else can

Post by Ian R11 »

I hope someone else can answer and show photo’s for this, I only have S5.

The earlier R11 exhaust looks the same as the R62 etc and that has a pointed bolt that goes through both the silencer and exhaust pipe. This holds them together and screws into a threaded part of the running board at the front and rear. I guess the S1/4 should have these threaded spigots dropping below the running board to hold them without spacers, the S5 running board does not have these threaded spigots.

norwaybike

Hi! Thanks for the reply. It

Post by norwaybike »

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. It was just like I thought they would be screwed up into footrests.

Regards, Frode

Darryl.Richman

On these models the

Post by Darryl.Richman »

On these models the footboards are an essential part of the exhaust system. I have found that, if you have any need to remove the exhausts, it is much easier to remove the entire system, including the footboard, as a single piece. Getting the individual pipe, muffler and floorboard holes to line up, while lying under the bike and trying to get the screw through them all, will increase your vocabulary by 50%. It's way easier to assemble it all on the bench.
--Darryl Richman

bmwmyplace

TRY THIS SITE I think it is a

Post by bmwmyplace »

TRY THIS SITE I think it is a Chang Jiang http://www.scooterbob.com/changs.html

norwaybike

Hi! When mounting the exhaust

Post by norwaybike »

Hi!
When mounting the exhaust on the left side of my R11 serie 4, the "stick" for fixing the spring to the central support come in conflict so I can not fasten the rear support under the footboard.
Have some of you experienced the same?
How have you solved it? Cut of the stick and moved it to another placement?
Any advice?

Greetings, Frode

Ian R11

hi Frode It may be worth

Post by Ian R11 »

hi Frode

It may be worth checking your stand spring mounts are correct, so can you post some photo’s showing your spring position mounts on the main stand and the battery box also where/how it prevents fitting?

norwaybike

Hi!Sorry for my late reply.

Post by norwaybike »

Hi!
Sorry for my late reply.
I think I've figured it out, and that the spring mounts were not correct. Now I can easily fix the rear screw hole on the footrest.
But I still have challenges... When the stand is in upright position it comes in conflict with the tail pipe were it is attached to the frame. How do you guys solved this? Have you custom with a spacer between the frame and the rear exhaust tube? Or have you done so the stand can not go so far up in the upright position that it conflicts with the pipe? Another possibility might narrow in the stand so it just goes beyond the frame, and accept some spacers to build out exhaust tubes somewhat relative to the frame. Should become happy if someone took the trouble to explain how you have solved this, and document with a few pictures of the stand in an upright position. It is BMW R11 serie 4

Regards, Frode