If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bench Mark Works Sold

magri6837

Bench Mark Works Sold

Post by magri6837 »

I received an email yesterday from Max BMW stating that they have purchased Bench Mark Works as Vech is retiring. The entire Bench Mark Works inventory was moved to Connecticut last month (November). Bench Mark orders will continue to be processed by Max BMW. Unfortunately, I guess we won't be able to speak with Vech or Richard anymore for advice,technical information or other.
mike m
1967 R50/2, 2001 Harley Heritage w/ sidecar, 2007 suzuki DR200SE

schrader7032

Re: Bench Mark Works Sold

Post by schrader7032 »

There was a thread that ran earlier...link is here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17190
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

magri6837

Post by magri6837 »

I did not know there was a thread already. I just found out about the sale yesterday. Thank you for the link.
mike m

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

Guys,

Yes, I sold Bench Mark Works, and retired from the business.

BUT, I am still here, still alive, and still involved with Vintage BMW's.

So..............

I will remain, as always, the technical adviser to the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners club, and will still answer any questions from anyone about the old bikes.

My new email is vechbmw@yahoo.com
My phone is now 662 312 2838 but please restrict your calls to 9 am - 4 pm CST. If I do not answer leave a message that you have a BMW question, an I'll call you back .
My 1921 Victoria with the factory installed BMW engine... All matching numbers!
kr-1.JPG
kr-1.JPG (39.87 KiB) Viewed 7496 times
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

magri6837

Post by magri6837 »

Thank you, Vech. It's great to know that you will still be around and active to help us care for our machines.
mike m

jacksonliam341

Post by jacksonliam341 »

I received an email yesterday from Max BMW stating that they have purchased Bench Mark Works as Vech is retiring.
The entire Bench Mark Works inventory was moved to Connecticut last month.

Bench Mark orders will continue to be processed by Max BMW.
Unfortunately, I guess we won't be able to speak with Vech or Richard anymore for advice,technical information or other.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! Don't hesitate to post your questions here on the forum anyway. Vech does drop in from time to time. If he doesn't answer, we'll try and do our best!!

Also, it's been posted in other places that Vech appears to be open to contact at reasonable times. Check out this post:

viewtopic.php?p=80374#p80374
Kurt in S.A.

Kid_again

Post by Kid_again »

Hello there, I'm about to be brutally honest about MAX BMW's business since they bought BenchMark Works. I've tried to do business with them three times and have now given up, going to Blue Moon. They do not know the /2s. The first orders had to be returned because they sent the wrong parts. I finally had to send a picture of a magneto (having been sent an alternator rotor) and they tried to convince me the cam is on the bottom of the engine. That does not inspire confidence. That was just about the last straw. Francis, in parts, said the magneto was backordered and would call me in a few days to let me know what he found out.

Crickets.

I've seen this over and over at the companies at which I worked. When we were bought, or somebody bought us, the troops in the trenches are the least prepared, the least trained and the most over worked.

This last time I tried to order parts, yesterday and today, it took multiple voice mails to get a call back from Max BMW, by which time I had already bought the parts at Blue Moon. As I explained to Francis, it's not his fault but his boss, who loves to get his picture taken, should get off his AZZ and FIX THE BUSINESS. Now, THAT would be a MUCH BETTER Kodak moment for the customers.

I have an R69S, an R50S clone and an R75/5 engine in a /2 frame with a Steib S500 sidecar. I'm a fairly good customer. My father sold these when I was a kid and they have been of my life for 50 years. I have a fairly decent understanding of the bikes but ALWAY learned something when talking to Richard. NOBODY discounts these parts so service should be outstanding as it was with BenchMark Works.

I apologize in adavance as I have not read all the posts about the takeover but while Vech is lionized, I've not seen anything about Richard. Of course, Vech is exceptionally capable, knowledgeable and shares his knowledge readily.

And so does Richard. When he tells you how to perform a procedure, he's the fastest talking Southerner I ever met. I'd have a page of scribbling I'd have to translate and transfer to my service log.

In fact, I spoke to Richard about 98% of the time I called.

Richard! Joe from New Jersey says Hey!! You could make a fortune answering the phones over at Max BMW.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Sorry you had troubles. I had my first interaction with them several weeks ago...not sure who I talked to. I provided the part numbers, he found the items, and they were FedExed to me. He even gave me a price break on the items...plus free shipping. So, I'm OK at this point.

We all have our "experiences" with providers. My bad experience was with Blue Moon...one time and I will never go back. My limited exposure suggested that he was more interested in making money and provided a substandard part. On another occasion, I told him that I was looking for a '52 R25/2 and he said he could find one. In the end, I went to another source and saved $1500. Turns out the bike I bought was the one Blue Moon was going to sell me...for a tidy profit. Just seems to me he was more into money than working with me.

It's all about how things land I guess!!
Kurt in S.A.

Kid_again

Post by Kid_again »

Yeah, I know you're right. I should have emphasized this is my personal experience and others may have the opposite experience. I would point out that I had three bad experiences in a row. My original order, my first in a year or so, was pretty substantial as I needed to finish up my R50S clone and I wasn't offered a discount. Can you please tell me how much your total came to, or at least a summary of the parts order? Thank you.

Perhaps my timing was worse than yours and they're still experiencing the "integration". God, I hated being on integration teams but I DO KNOW integration always takes longer than anyone expects.

Richard spoiled the crap out of me. I believe I was the last retail customer for BenchMark Works as I sent them an email request overnight and they received it the day they turned off the phones. Richard called, told me they sold the business but they would fill this last order. I put that invoice on the sacred shelf which holds the Jack Daniels. I know Vech is a Tennessee Squire, as I am.

A well-deserved shout-out to Nathan and Garrett at Boxer Works. They have a solid knowledge of /2s and have all sorts of stuff, mail it out quickly and parts quality has been uniformly excellent. I've ordered pistons, cylinders, 24mm and 26mm carb parts, the magneto set that I couldn't get at MaxBMW. SO Blue Moon for the new stuff and the guys at Boxer Works for the other stuff. Also, Charlie at Blue Moon did a good job tracking down parts for the S500. I've also had to order side car parts from a very good shop in Germany. I'll post that supplier when I find the invoice.