If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Restoring #163

All about BMW in racing can be discussed. Sharing of pictures, and other information.
Ericandchi

Re: Restoring #163

Post by Ericandchi »

Thought i replied yesterday but i guess i never hit submit.

The ports were defined over the years from track experience and testing on a flow bench. Dad has a rubber casting some place of the final port configuration someplace in the parts bin. A marine type epoxy was used on one side of the port to help change the flow path, but that would not explain the epoxy you have on the outside. Perhaps it was used to repair a leaking push rod tube.

Keep in mind after the bikes were sold many were used for years after so its hard to tell who did what to them.

As for the heads in the pic, its impossible to give a specific history. I will check with dad but i thought those bikes had smaller plugs on the lower side. They do appear to have the airflow insert on the intake port, some close up pics there might help. Are the valve guides modified? They could have been replaced, but some of the heads had them shortened to reduce the material in the port.

Oddly, when BMW wrote the check to buy the parts they were supposed to get everything. So these heads and the transmission must have not been spread out on the hanger floor in Texas when i was out there to inspect a few years back. If they were there is a good chance they would have been on the bike today. Oh well all history at this point.

Ericandchi

Post by Ericandchi »

I'm at dad's house preping the F750 for transport to Austin for bike show. I showed him the heads and he confirmed these were not heads he ever worked on or used.

None of the bikes he built use 14mm plugs on bottom. They all had 12mm.

He noted immediately these were R90s heads. When I questioned the year he noted that R90s was available in Europe a year before US. So these would be first year production.

Another observation is that some weld was usually added below the push rod tube to add a bit of strength were it was opened up.

Ericandchi

Post by Ericandchi »

BMW brought the bike out to Barber this weekend for their 100 year celebration. We had a great time at the event, the best part being that I got to ride the bike during the parade laps on Saturday and Sunday. I will try to get some videos posted soon.

Barber weekend
Barber weekend