If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Rennesport Replica in the works

Tinkertimejeff

Rennesport Replica in the works

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

Still a ways off but moving along well. Modified /5 frame, R 26 front end, 19" high shoulder rims with /2 & /5 hubs, R 50/2 motor & trans and an R 50/5 final drive I should have fenders and seat next week so I can fabricate brackets and paint them. I may go to the India guy for an aluminum Rennesport gas tank or make something from an extra /7 gas tank I have collecting dust. I have a friend with a machine shop who can fabricate the clip-ons and shift and brake linkage from the rear sets and if I want to get real serious he can shave the air box off the transmission and assist with making the clutch lever work form the top. Its Black so at least I got one thing correct!
Attachments
rennesport 4.JPG
rennesport 3.JPG
rennesport 2.JPG
rennesport 1.JPG

olebmw

Re: Rennesport Replica in the works

Post by olebmw »

Please post your progress.

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

Airtech surprised me for my Birthday and I received the fenders & seat ahead of the expected delivery date. Now the fun part of making them fit and making the brackets then painting them.
Attachments
rennesport 7.JPG
rennesport 6.JPG

malmac

Post by malmac »

an interesting project.

With nothing else in your shed to keep you busy, I guess you have to find something to occupy your days.

Maybe we all have a project bike lurking either in a dusty corner or maybe just in our immaginations.

I can see you are turning your imagination into something quite tangible and interesting.

Well done.
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Mal,

I for one have a rather daunting queue of "project bikes" awaiting my attention. But with two daughters under the age of 2, the question is when will I have the time? Projects as follows..

1951 R67 - complete and running in nice original condition. Low mileage bike but deserving of a mechanical freshening.
1955 R50 - Missing the fenders and 1 wheel. Otherwise mostly complete, titled and matching. Needs everything.
1955 R69 - titled frame and engine to turn my non-matching bike into a matching one
1958 R69 - complete and running but non-matching numbers.
1961 R50S - complete and ready for a full restoration
1964 R69S - bought as a nearly complete project. Just needs to be sorted and few issues addressed.
1965 R60/2 with an R90/6 motor. Bought complete but hasn't run in a decade.
1966 R69S - bought as a titled frame with front end, motor, gearbox and final drive all matching numbers complete with carbs for $300 about 4 years ago. Garage sale. Sometimes you get lucky.
1968 R50/2 - complete and nice cosmetic bike. High mileage. Time for a rebuild.

Chris
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

I spent some time working on fender fitting and making brackets for them. I think they are almost ready for prep and paint. The seat pan posed a different challenge. The one I got is excellent quality "BUT" it just didn't fit the look I'm trying to get. I took drastic action and chopped about 8 inches out of the tail section and will have to retrain my brain in fiberglass work to put it back together.

While I had the /2 transmission at a friends machine shop making adjustments to the output flange (a/5 SWB driveshaft flange is a little different) I shared my thoughts on removing the air box. DONE! He also made up some nifty clip-on's and steering damper knob. Still debating adjusting the rear trans cover to have a top pull clutch arm.

I going to stick with the /7 gas tank with a few modifications, For Now!!!
Attachments
AA5.JPG
AA4.JPG
AA3.JPG
AA2.JPG
AA1.JPG

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

Its getting there. I installed the motor & transmission and got some more paint work done. I got the heads back the other day, all rebuilt and ready for 26mm carbs which I have sitting on the bench. a few details like shift & rear brake linkage and the fender brackets are getting sorted out this week.
Attachments
rennesport 12.JPG
rennesport 11.JPG
rennesport 10.JPG
rennesport 9.JPG
rennesport 8.JPG

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

Working on the fender brackets, exhaust and clip-ons. I may upgrade the clip-ons to oak and schedule 80 PVC pipe. Seriously just a practice run on them to get an idea of clearance, look and ridding position. They will be my first project with a new milling machine.
Attachments
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Jeff-
Well color me green on your new mill... congrats.
Liking the mounting plates for the clip-ons, very very nice.
As is the shortened seat and rear fender brackets, front mount is at the swingarm cross tube, yes?
And you altered the front fork leg swingarm mounts!

I'm trying to get energized up to do a (conventional) conversion project.
That idea was borne from Ginni saying last summer- we're both in our 70's, let's start getting rid of all the accumulated junk in house and barn so the kids won't have to do it later.
Which reminded me of both how emotional, and tedious, it was to go through our own parents things after they'd gone.

Well I got looking at my shelves and piles of bmw junk, and it dawned on me that amongst it there was probably enough bits to build a bike.
I'd done up a conversion bike in the late '70s that I'd shipped to England, stored with a friend in London, and used on into the '80s for running up to the IoM, and just looking around Europe.
I was working construction here, and whenever I was money enough ahead to get over there, usually end of spring for TT week, I would.

I ended up getting married/kids/divorced/etc and not returning for years, and my friend ended up selling the bike, when he had to move.

So given the bits I've got to work with, it looks like it might end up being some kind of hipster hot roddy thing, we'll see.
Your 'reverse' had me thinking for a minute, but the only /5 frame in the pile is too tweaked, so I'll stay with a somewhat 'normal' conversion.

Anyway, enjoying reading about your project, hope you keep posting your progress, and look forward to seeing more of it here, great work!
Best-
George

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

A little more progress. I have been very distracted lately with a few recent new projects so things slowed down on all of them. I still have a ways to go but now my time is divided between a few other bikes and home projects.
Attachments
IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG