If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

K1

Skylinechili

K1

Post by Skylinechili »

Hello all, I recently inherited an 89' K1 with just under 6500 miles. The bike has been sitting in storage for about 10 years. Looking for some advice on steps to get her back on the road, first steps ect. Thanks in advance!
20220426_174726.jpg
20220426_174726.jpg
Attachments
20220426_174742.jpg

schrader7032

Re: K1

Post by schrader7032 »

These were an amazing bike from BMW! I think one would tackle all the usuals such as fluids, filters, and likely get the tires replaced. Bleed the brakes. The bike as ABS and at some point I'm sure the system would need to be serviced. I suppose you could assume it works OK but then maybe do some parking lot testing by stomping on the rear brakes only and see if the wheel locks or just slows down...never had had to do something like that so I'm only guessing. I wonder if the electronics has any fault codes that you would need to research.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Skylinechili

Post by Skylinechili »

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate your advice.

WeinerWarner

Post by WeinerWarner »

Congratulations on finding a K-1 with low mileage they are truly one-of-a-kind futuristic motorcycle. I have a 1985 K100 RS that I thoroughly enjoyed and maintain for 37 years. It is probably my favorite bike over my other 5 BMW motorcycles. But with age you can have problems that you may not suspect. Just this past week after bleeding my brakes I decided to check on the brake pads and found out that the 2 front sets of pads that are high quality aftermarket HH pads had rusted on the backside up against the caliper piston. I've ordered rebuild kits I just hope the caliper pistons are not rusted. It's fairly simple to pull your brake pads check and clean them and even flat sandpaper the brake pad surface. Reinstall them with new high-quality break and caliper grease. I'm using CRC breaking caliper grease that is safe to use on the rubber brake caliper seals. I'm so glad I checked and found there was an issue I'm planning to ride to the MOA International Rally in Springfield Missouri about 1,000 miles away next month and I will have confidence that my brakes will work fine. Your fuel system is another area of concern you may want to run a fuel injection cleaner additive to your fuel like Chevron Techron. The early K bike series have a large flat area on top of the motor between the air filter box and the radiator that is perfect place for mice to build a nest, I've had that also. Good luck with the K-1, hope to see on the road someday.

rockers

Post by rockers »

WW

You must not have rode your K1 to the MOA Rally? Maybe due to the heat. Good idea. Mine (Ketchup/Mustard) was the only one I saw at the rally and I rode down from northern Wisconsin.

The heat from the weather and the bike was bad and I even formed some blisters on the back of my legs.

Bob Alexander

Parked 2Long

Post by Parked 2Long »

Blisters on the back of your legs?
I had an 85 k100rs for about 20 years. I use to get hot legs, not the good looking ones!
My solution, flannel lined pants. insolates your legs from the heat. I wear them year round now.
And no i'm not crazy, well maybe just a little
And to the OP
new battery, clean cable ends
Replace the brake fluid (keep bleeding until clear fresh fluid some's out)
Air filter
Oil and filter
trans fluid change
rear end fluid change
fuel filter
drain and clean inside of the fuel tank add fresh 92 octane fuel
Spark plugs are probably fine but I would rake them out spray some lube in the cylinders then turn the motor buy turning the back wheel in 5 gear with the plugs out.
Put the plugs back in and start it.
After you get it running a spline lube should be in you future
In the school of life, first comes the test, then comes the lesson.

Parked 2Long

Post by Parked 2Long »

Antifreeze too
In the school of life, first comes the test, then comes the lesson.