If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1975 R90S color scheme question

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
Morten

1975 R90S color scheme question

Post by Morten »

Hi,
Newbie here. I just looked at a 1975 R90S that I'm seriously considering buying. The owner claims that the paint is original, but the color is bright red with yellow pinstripes. I can't find any info that confirms other R90S color schemes than Daytona orange and smoke/grey combo. I know that the '75 90/6 had this color option, but what about the 90S? The paint sure looks original with chips and blemishes that are old. The rest of the bike is original in all ways as far as I can tell. any info out there on this color scheme?
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (402.78 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
photo_1.jpg
photo_1.jpg (218.42 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
photo_2.jpg
photo_2.jpg (773.9 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

schrader7032

Never heard of any other

Post by schrader7032 »

Never heard of any other color except the two standard ones. Snowbum only shows those two on his website:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pcodes.htm

Same here:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/schemepages/schemer90s.htm

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Morten

Thanks Kurt. Yes, I've been

Post by Morten »

Thanks Kurt. Yes, I've been to those pages, so it seems like a paint job as some point. Why anyone would do such a thing is beyond me. VIN/Serial # checks out as r90s manufactured in September '75, and it sure looks like original paint.

lavernlbrown

R90s paint

Post by lavernlbrown »

May be an r90s but certainly not factory paint or paint scheme, 74, 75, 76 seat rails were chrome the reason for the paint could be a lot of different things. Most often it is price, it is hard to find a painter that will even try to get it "right" Just been through that!

l. brown

khittner

Do the frame and engine

Post by khittner »

Do the frame and engine numbers match? Between the non-standard paint scheme, the black seat rail, the /7 rocker covers on the engine, and the aftermarket smoked windshield and Napolean mirrors, it looks like someone applied/assembled a number of non-standard, but compatible, parts to this bike. Maybe previous owner just didn't like Daytona Orange or Silver Smoke, and later rocker covers, but this treatment would also be consistent with a post-crash makeover.
Konrad

winsur4

R90S?

Post by winsur4 »

Hi,
Newbie here. I just looked at a 1975 R90S that I'm seriously considering buying. The owner claims that the paint is original, but the color is bright red with yellow pinstripes. I can't find any info that confirms other R90S color schemes than Daytona orange and smoke/grey combo. I know that the '75 90/6 had this color option, but what about the 90S? The paint sure looks original with chips and blemishes that are old. The rest of the bike is original in all ways as far as I can tell. any info out there on this color scheme?

I remember the R90S from 1974 on, as I wanted one so badly, but was on a tight budget in college. I never saw one that was not Orange or Black with smoke. The tail picture looks like it has sanding marks under the paint. With the other non standard parts, my guess is a put together bike using R100s parts or paint scheme, and not original. Check the frame and engine numbers, too.
Jim
1974 R90S
1976 R90/6
1961 R50 Sidecar (R100 motor)

boxertwinjeff

Another Bull.... Artist Con

Post by boxertwinjeff »

Another Bull.... Artist Con man at work,....did he honestly think you wouldn't check for Colour Authenticity
Sounds by the Numbers it's an R90S, but I wouldn't offer him much, re Colour, as you'd probably want to
have it resprayed in the correct DO or SS Scheme.