If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

battery replacement

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
black cobra

battery replacement

Post by black cobra »

Has anyone used a AGM battery as a replacement?
I am looking for a reliable manufacture.

schrader7032

I prefer the good old slosh

Post by schrader7032 »

I prefer the good old slosh type batteries for these older charging systems. That said, I've heard a lot of people like the Odyssey batteries.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

I believe I have an Odessey

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I believe I have an Odessey in my R90S. It must be about 5 or 6 years old now, still works great. I keep it on a Battery Tender pretty much all the time.
--Darryl Richman

Heinrich

Replacement battery

Post by Heinrich »

I keep all my bikes stock, except for the battery. BMW batteries last about 18 months to 2 years. Since 1996 I've been using Panasonic (also called aircraft or gell batteries) and have not looked back ever. My first one lasted me 10 years. They are about 1-2 cm thinner and 1-2 cm taller, otherwise a perfect fit. Only need to replace the clamp on top of the battery. Not enought space for the toolbox then. I replaced my clamp with an old Meccano single strip. Works like a charm. Also, because they are thinner, they slide in and out of the battery box no problem.
HeinrichHeinrich

schrader7032

Battery Life

Post by schrader7032 »

I keep all my bikes stock, except for the battery. BMW batteries last about 18 months to 2 years.

That's interesting...I've used either a Yuasa or the BMW battery (basically the same battery) for the last 15 years or so. I get a good 5 years out of each battery. I only changed the one in my /7 this last time around because I was doing the clutch and didn't want to put a 4-year old battery back in.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Heinrich

The proof is in the pudding

Post by Heinrich »

I travel extensively on the African continent. Most of the time single. Exclusively on 1970s BMWs. You cannot afford your battery to give in on you in the morning when you wake up from a dead quiet sleep in the middle of the desert, no phone reception and the closest contact point 200 km away. And that does not say that they will be able to assist you with battery problems on your bike. Ever tried to push-start a 230 kg shaft driven bike in sand that is more than 3m deep? Or in mud in the jungle? A good, powerful battery pulls you through.
HeinrichHeinrich

black cobra

Heinrich, I dont think

Post by black cobra »

Heinrich,
I dont think anything can be said about your point. If it works in Africa, well ,thats good enough for me.
Thanks for the input.

Noah

2valve

personally i always use the

Post by 2valve »

personally i always use the OEM battery , usually get five to six years out of them when you keep them charged up , they fit into the battery frame and look super neat with the enclosed battery terminals.

l.suglia

Has anyone used a Shorai

Post by l.suglia »

Has anyone used a Shorai battery as a replacement? They're pricey and I would prefer not to change the clamp. Any feedback? Thanks. L.suglia

winsur4

Battery comments

Post by winsur4 »

Has anyone used a AGM battery as a replacement?
I am looking for a reliable manufacture.

I only get about 2 years out of a lead acid battery. Finding a good AGM battery that fits an R90 has been a pain. I bought 2 recently from Battery Stuff. It is slightly smaller, but fits nicely, and has great cranking ability. It did not exactly win the "Texas Toast Battery Cook-off I recently read, but the price was right, less than a $100.

http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/index ... cID=157913 is the link for the "Battery Cook-off. They tested the Scorpion battery brand from Battery Stuff, and it performed in the middle of the pack. It will take a few years to actually recommend the battery, but for sure the starter turned more quickly, and the fit is close to the original. The Motobatt was the winner of the Cook-off and was very impressive, having reserve capacity way beyond all the rest. I don't like the yellow color, or the way the terminals are mounted, and it looks like the battery would be $166.00 plus shipping for an old airhead. Next time around, I will take a closer look.

BTW, a heavy duty Diode Board from Thunderchild was also installed, along with the solid mounts to replace the rubber ones. The battery charges at idle, now, and supposedly if the Alternator light goes out, the charging system still works.
Jim
1974 R90S
1976 R90/6
1961 R50 Sidecar (R100 motor)