If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

UGY365M

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
lazyjake

Re: UGY365M

Post by lazyjake »

I wouldn't be of much help here, I'm sure, except to mention that I can't find a picture or attachment to your post that would help identify the machine. I could be missing something.

Dale

macfly

UGY365M

Post by macfly »

I would suggest contacting BMW's UK press office and see if they can help you. M reg is definetly 1974. The info I found online is this....
Tony Jakeman BMW Motorrad Marketing Manager. Tel: 01344 480 185 Email: tony.jakeman@bmw.co.uk

My Dad was a motor journalist in the UK, and tested the R90S in 1974. I have a very vivid memory of that bike, I though it was such a beauty, and it is that memory that got me into doing the resto on the one I have here. My dad also purchaced several bikes from BMW UK's press fleet back then, an R60/6, R90/6, R100/7 and a K100. I emmigrated to the US in 1993 and when my Father passed away my brother disposed of all his old stuff, so I have no way of checking back into his old stories to see if yours was the bike he tested. He kept copies of all his articles, so I'm sure there would have been some pictures of it.

If you have no luck with BMW UK you could possibly try BMW Classic in Germany, as they would know which were the bikes sent to the press fleet, and also you could try searching the DOT records if you have a friend in the police. :roll:
macfly
LA, CA, USA

bahnstormer59

Post by bahnstormer59 »

thanks for that much appreciated

our dvla have provided me with dates of registration/owner changes etc but bmw have been less than helpfull

when i get the bike out i will take and post a picture

for ref the frame/engine no is 4070074

regards cliff

bahnstormer59

Post by bahnstormer59 »

sorry forgot to add

the bike was registered in nov 1973 and i beleive was used for pre launch tests/abverts

cliff

macfly

Post by macfly »

I have been over here (LA, CA) for so long now that I can't think of any other sources of info short of just trying to get hold of all the old bike mags of the peroid, Bike and MCN being the two main ones I remember from back then, and see if your bike's plate is visible in them. The R90S turned up in loads of mags from Penthouse to Nova to Vogue, it was the most fashionable bike of its day, with Lord Lichfield being a notable owner. That very early serial number would certainly suggest it was part of the European press fleet, but if BMW UK aren't of much help do try to reach out to BMW Classic, they are a new group, and used to called Mobile Tradition, and they have pretty deep archives, so try them. http://www.bmw-classic.com/2/webmill.php
macfly
LA, CA, USA

Darryl.Richman

UGY365M

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I purchased this machine some 20 years ago. It was registered in the uk (NOV 73) by the then concessionaires and used as a press/test machine,before being sold to a guy in london

Unfortunately the guy is now deceased but his family remember him referring to the bike being in various publications.

Does anybody remember this machine and/or give me any information as to any magazines it has been in

thanks
--Darryl Richman