If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Steering Lock

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
Gummikuh

Steering Lock

Post by Gummikuh »

I purchased a OEM Steering Lock from e-bay with the full round locking Cylinder ! but without a Key .Part# 51251243499 for my 1976 R90S.
I was given a Code # 33144 with it. I got also an original Neimann Key Blank.
I dropped both off at our local Key and Lock Smith . After almost a Month they are still scratching their Heads and don't know
what to do .
Any Help would be appreciated
Thanks

sherman980

Re: Steering Lock

Post by sherman980 »

Think you need to find a new locksmith! Have used the same shop for several decades. Bring them a tool box door lock, a fork lock "cylinder", whatever... 20 minutes later, I have a new key that fits and works like new. I've even taken old Harley frames that have a fork lock stuck in them with success. They also have a key cutting machine that they use just to cut steel blanks (most shops won't cut steel ones because they dull the "blade" on their cutter. Not easy to find an "old school" lock shop anymore, but you clearly need to find one that knows how to fit a key to a lock.
Thanks.
Chuck S

srankin

Post by srankin »

Not all locksmiths know what they are doing. I had problems finding one to cut spare BMW key blanks.

What I found is, most locksmiths near me, who do house keys are pretty much useless for motorcycle or auto keys.

So, do a bit of searching in the nearest big city and look for a shop specializing in auto keys, an auto dealer service shop may know one in your area. Good luck, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

Right. I took the T-handle from the trunk of my side car to a smith expecting to pay for a custom key. He found a number on the lock, looked in his computer and I had 2 keys in ten minutes. Look for a new smith.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Thanks for all your Help
I guess I will look for another Locksmith .
Not an easy One in a small Town.
Appreciated

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, sometimes we all have to go to the big city, I do so as little as possible. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS