If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Not convinced it’s running right…

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
srankin

Re: Not convinced it’s running right…

Post by srankin »

It kind of makes sense the 85 mph units would be more accurate, less movement involved maybe? Different tension on the hair spring?

So they were in 79, that would mean I got my victim off the 79RT I bought for parts a question answered. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Workinman

Post by Workinman »

If I did go down the path of an GPS speedo, it would be very tastefully done and it would be temporary. Just long enough for me to learn my RPM’s at certain speeds. I’m hoping to head out here in a little while for what I’m hoping will be a lengthy shakedown cruise, so I’m hoping that reseating the cable did some good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I download a GPS app onto my phone, throw it into my tank bag's map section. Good luck hope all works out. St.

Workinman

Post by Workinman »

That is indeed an idea I might have to try. I’ve already got a speedometer app on my phone, just need to dig my tank bag out of the RT trunk and try it. I might, however, not need it. See my next post

Workinman

Post by Workinman »

54B5DCDF-F4CA-441D-B322-E08FE1B701B7.jpeg
GREAT shakedown cruise today! Rode the old girl 77 miles out in the country, and I must say that it was a success. Get this…
After the first few miles of the speedo jumping around like a nut, (I actually hit 140 on a 45 mph road) the speedometer started smoothing out. Within 20 miles or so it was acting almost normal. Although I still think it was 5 mph fast. There were a couple of times that I looked down and saw it fluctuating 10 mph or so, but even that may work itself out over time. I guess the speedometer was just protesting being idle for 20 years!
And get this too!
My pushrod tube seals have stopped leaking! This thing was leaving a good size puddle on the garage floor every time I parked it. After todays rather spirited ride, I don’t have a single drop on the floor. I even left it on the side stand for a few hours to give it a perfect opportunity to leak. Not a drop. (And yes, there is oil in the engine) This leak could surely come back, but it’s certainly good for now. I’ll take it!
Overall, a very good shakedown cruise. I’m tickled with it.
Chris

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Great news !
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, wonderful news! Yeah, I suppose if I laid around for twenty years I might be a bit sticky.

I concede the bouncing needle could be due to lubrication problems, I never took one of my speedometers apart (other than the poor now dead 85 unit) to see if a shot of lubricant would make a difference.

LOL, my 335i BMW convertible's speedometer reads three mph slow. I asked the dealer about it and he told me, there was no fix, BMW designed it that way for the countries using speed cameras. A nice story, but who knows if it is true. St.

Workinman

Post by Workinman »

wa1nca wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:49 pm
Great news !
Tommy
It is good news, Tommy!
And it’s so rarely we get any good news nowadays.
It’s usually the other way around.
Chris

Workinman

Post by Workinman »

And…
The pushrod tubes have started leaking again. I guess that will be yet another winter project for me. I’ll be asking questions about that process once I get it started.
Chris

Workinman

Post by Workinman »

So now that I’ve hijacked my own thread, I might as well keep it going.
Turns out, although the push rod tube seals are indeed “weeping”, it’s very minor compared to before. My oil spots on the garage floor have turned out to be from the transmission. I believe the shift shaft seal is leaking a tiny bit, and the rear cover on the tranny appears to be the biggest culprit. I’m not sure I want to do a complete transmission overhaul on this thing. Can the rear cover be pulled without the entire guts falling out?
Last edited by Workinman on Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.