If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Front axle dilemma

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
Blueox25

Front axle dilemma

Post by Blueox25 »

I have a 1976R90S that I bought from the son of the original owner with 57,000 miles on the clock. It was intact and running but had been in storage for a long time, had various leaks and worn parts, so the last three years have been spent with a little riding and a lot of restoration.
The front forks were badly worn out with some oddball main springs, old black fork oil, leaking caps, sidecar extra springs, the bumpers were completely disintegrated, and the top plate was bent in two axes, likely from an accident. I fully overhauled the forks, replaced the top plate, and they now easily slide up and down (without springs), and when I install the axle, I can turn the axle at all positions as the fork is compressed and lengthened. When I test rode the bike, the front end feels much better.
The dilemma is that when re-installing the front wheel, it is very difficult to get the axle to slide through the left fork leg. It feels like it is hitting something. The axle slides through the wheel bearing easily (off the bike) and slides through both fork legs perfectly without the wheel), but when I mount the wheel, I can pass the axle through the right fork and the wheel bearing, but it binds as it exits the wheel bearing and is a bitch to get through the fork leg. I'm concerned that a flat repair on the road would be nearly impossible.
What am I missing or doing wrong?

Harold

schrader7032

Re: Front axle dilemma

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! I don't think there is any real issue...you said that it goes each easily just not at the same time. I think you might be getting the wheel a little cocked while trying to thread the needle. Not to mention you have the brake discs that are sitting between the pads. That is my guess. Just keep wiggling things around and I'm sure it will slide through.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Blueox25

Post by Blueox25 »

Kurt,
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps removing the calipers will make it easier next time, along with gently wiggling the wheel while pushing the axle.
My R1200GS axle slides right through the fork legs and wheel with no drama. The R90S axle thread is a chore.
Harold

srankin

Post by srankin »

It is kind of late to mention it but Brook Reams has a good bunch of videos regarding front end rebuild for various bikes. The closest of his would be the 77RS, it has I believe the same forks and such as the R90S. LOL, don't hold me to it for a bet because I am only going on my limited knowledge, I haven't crossed checked the microfiches for the two bikes.

Anyway, maybe viewing them will help. St.

https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcycle-r ... ont-forks/
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

Harold, welcome to the forum.

I had the same problem. I also have an 76 R90S and I follow also same recommendations plus William Plam's videos.

This was super helpful, videos 15 - 17

boxer2valve BMW Restoration and Parts Supplier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXfzr9wS3RE

Good luck
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

srankin

Post by srankin »

I hadn't seen the Boxer Work videos, thanks for sharing. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

bremoit

Post by bremoit »

make sure the fender support is oriented correctly---if not it can cause binding in the axle.