If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

EME electronic ignition

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
jstewart

EME electronic ignition

Post by jstewart »

Probably everybody here knows this but I didn't. In trying to order a crank driven electronic ignition system from Euromotoelectrics from multiple US suppliers I ran up against a requirement to use either the EME charging system or another replacement charging system which would have increased the cost substantially. Turned out that there is a EME system sold directly from EME that works with the standard Bosh charging system but is only available directly from EME. It is also substantially less than the EME system sold by other US suppliers. I don't mean it is cheap just less expensive than the system intended to be used with the EME charging system.

srankin

Re: EME electronic ignition

Post by srankin »

Thanks for the information. Sometimes it pays to do a bit of research before buying things and you have proven it.

My local airhead shop, the Beemer Barn, here in NY just installed a complete EME system charging and ignition. The results are excellent.

Mind you, personally I would have tended to the Omega charging system for charging upgrade with the Alpa ignition system only because they resemble the later era BMW systems and at least look to be a bit easier to install. However, since I didn't install the EME systems, I can only surmise this. The higher output charge is great for electric clothing, and getting rid of points is fantastic. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

sblaylock

Re: EME electronic ignition

Post by sblaylock »

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "requirement to use either the EME charging system or another replacement charging system". I've installed several of the crank driven electronic ignitions on airheads and there was no requirement to upgrade the charging system. The only thing you need to be aware of is the coil compatibility. It is also recommended to use 5k ohm plug leads and non resistor plugs, but no charging system upgrade is required.

There are two versions of the one sold by Euromotoelectrics - one for "normal" charging systems (EDL-BOIGNS) and the one specifically designed for the 450 Watt charging system upgrade (EDL-IGNS).

Just a side note, you will want to be aware of the clearance between the timing disk/holder and the front cover. I haven't had this issue with the ones I've installed but a fellow on the R90S forum mentioned he had a clearance issue with his install on an R75/5. I've installed this on a stock '71 R75/5 (no charging system upgrade) and didn't have a clearance issue.

Scott B.
Scott Blaylock
Stoney Peak BMW Service
Victoria, BC. Canada
BMW Classic and Vintage Motorcycle Service and Restoration
service@stoneypeak.com