If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Starting in Gear

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
RickR90s

Starting in Gear

Post by RickR90s »

I've had this problem for awhile, just feeling like I should finally figure it out.

Bike is my mostly orginal '74 R90s (early Oct. '73 production).

I replaced the aging wire harness about 10 years ago and since then I've had the problem where if the clutch lever is pulled in (tranny in gear), the neutral light will come on. Therefore, any shift through the gears, has the neutral light coming on, whenever the clutch is disengaged.

Can someone verify where the two wires from the clutch switch plug into on the terminal board in the headlight? I'm suspecting a bad diode on the board, but even if I place a diode in series between the brown wire and brown w/ yellow, I have the same problem.

thanks,

RickR90s
RickR90s

Randolph

Diode is shorted

Post by Randolph »

I have the same symptoms on my R90/6. I assume the diode between 85b (from start switch) and LKK (from neutral switch and neutral light) to be shorted. This allows the clutch switch to illuminate the neutral light when the clutch handle is pulled in. I consider this to be more a “feature” than a problem. Normal function is pull in clutch handle and start the engine but NO neutral light illuminated.

Evidently BMW wanted to protect the +12v from the neutral light from trickling though to the start circuit 85. Don’t know why.
My bike has been that way for the 20 years I’ve had it with no ill effects. I’m also too lazy to pull the contact board out of the bucket. I have a Katdash board now and it’s well protected.

Clutch switch wires: brown is GND 31. Not sure what color your colored clutch switch wire is, but it goes to 85b

Remember, none of this prevents one from engaging the starter motor while the engine is running. DOH!

Randy

RickR90s

Neutral Light

Post by RickR90s »

Thank You Randy,

I'll check my wiring this evening. Sort of an issue that is low in priority but still would like it working correctly.

Rick
RickR90s