If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Looking for history on My R90S

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
gedubya

Looking for history on My R90S

Post by gedubya »

Hi all!

I have a 1975 Daytona Orange R90S. I bought it from Max BMW (Connecticut branch) about 4 years ago. My salesman can't, or does not want to provide me with any of the bikes previous history. It is #4981421. I looked up the info on this site and I have also contacted BMW Germany trying to get info on it with minimal results.

Just wondering if anyone on this site might have any info on it.

It is in very nice shape with around 33k miles. The paint is in very good condition with some stone chips on the front from normal riding. It has electronic ignition and Koni rear shocks. I don't think anything else has been changed. I ride it every month or so around the neighborhood and to our Club Picnic each Fall. Oh, it also has one of those EZ Clutch Kits with the pulley and chain where the clutch cable attaches to the engine.

Everything works on the bike so all I do is keep a tender on the battery and ride it once in a while.

Please contact me if you or anyone you know may have info on it.

My email is gedubya@suddenlink.net

Thanks, Glenn
Attachments
img_1802.jpg
img_1802.jpg (229.4 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
gedubya

schrader7032

Glenn - Welcome! One thing

Post by schrader7032 »

Glenn -

Welcome! One thing you can find is when the bike was built...put the VIN into this website:

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

As you can see, it was built in 5/75. Nothing else on the website or any others will be of much help. BMW is more helpful on the older machines like those built in the 1960s. For them they can often tell you to which dealer the bike was delivered in Germany or if it was delivered to Butler and Smith for a US sale.

As for previous history on your bike, if your dealer isn't willing to provide much help, you might try working with the previous owner as identified on your title for the bike. Maybe you can work backwards from there.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

gedubya

Looking for history on my R90S

Post by gedubya »

Glenn -

Welcome! One thing you can find is when the bike was built...put the VIN into this website:

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

As you can see, it was built in 5/75. Nothing else on the website or any others will be of much help. BMW is more helpful on the older machines like those built in the 1960s. For them they can often tell you to which dealer the bike was delivered in Germany or if it was delivered to Butler and Smith for a US sale.

As for previous history on your bike, if your dealer isn't willing to provide much help, you might try working with the previous owner as identified on your title for the bike. Maybe you can work backwards from there.

Thanks for trying to help Kurt but I had that covered. I got the build date from BMW Germany and the previous owner was listed as Max BMW on the title. They will not or can not let me know who turned it in, which I can understand for privacy reasons.

I was kind of hoping that the previous owner might be on this site, or someone might know the bike from the CT, MA or R.I. area.

Are you a member of the BMW Club in San Antonio? The wife and I have attended the Hill Country Hangout with a couple of the other San Angelo Club Members for the past couple of years.

Thanks again! Glenn
gedubya

schrader7032

Sounds like you've done some

Post by schrader7032 »

Sounds like you've done some groundwork to date. No, I'm not a member of the club...I heard about the event but didn't attend.

Not sure this helps much, but I remembered a registry listing here; there's nothing for the R90S specifically, so you should check the Airheads. Your VIN doesn't seem to be in there.

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/

There is also the BMW Club R90S registry:

https://www.r90s.info/Registry/index.html
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

gedubya

Looking for history on my R90S

Post by gedubya »

Thanks for the additional info Kurt!

I didn't have any luck with either of those sites either. I went ahead and registered on the R90S Club Page. It doesn't look like that Club is very active.

I heard back from my sales person at Max BMW and he said that he contacted the previous owner and gave him my phone number. I haven't heard from him yet but apparently his first name is Charlie. So if anyone knows a "Charlie" that owned an orange 75 R90S (Serial 4981421) up until 4 or 5 years ago in the New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts or Rhode Island area, tell him to give me a call so I can gather history on his old bike!

Thanks again Kurt.
gedubya

kirkpatrick3890

Re: Looking for history on My R90S

Post by kirkpatrick3890 »

A suggestion:
I picked up an R27 here in PA several years ago and wanted to find out the history of the bike, same as your situation. At the time I had gotten to know a lady in the state DMV due to my requests for vanity plates. I asked her if she knew, from her computer screen who owned this bike previous to the guy I bought it from and said "Yes" but she could not divulge that information. So I asked her if I mailed her a letter in a stamped blank envelope would she fill in the name and address of the previous owner and mail the letter to him and she said "Yes".

I received a call from the previous owner several weeks later, he said "I've often wondered what happened to that bike".

SO ask Max in what state did the previous owner live and do the same thing by calling that state's DMV.

Then ask Max if they will mail your letter for you to the previous owner. Shame on them if they won't.

But I bet Max does not want you and the previous owner comparing buy and sell numbers. "You paid WHAT for it!! They only would pay me xxx for it" and ill will will ensue.
Mac Kirkpatrick
President, VBMWO