If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Rough running

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
monkeybikegirl

Thanks for the tips. The

Post by monkeybikegirl »

Thanks for the tips. The weird thing is that it was running great and then a quick stop and it was acting up. No change other then stopping the bike and starting it up 10 minutes later. Well till the next weekend.

Twocams

Are you using a good premium

Post by Twocams »

Are you using a good premium grade gas. If it has ethanol in your gas you may have to much water to run right. When I have to use ethanol gas I use an additive.

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

monkeybikegirl

94 Octane from Chevron is the

Post by monkeybikegirl »

94 Octane from Chevron is the best I can get here in BC.

monkeybikegirl

I just replaced the

Post by monkeybikegirl »

I just replaced the conderser. It had no effect. It seems that it is only running on one cyclinder or just barely on one side.

Carott

Ignition or Carburetor Problem?

Post by Carott »

A simple test to determine if you have a fuel problem or a spark problem is to connect a timing light and look at the light as the bike runs. Switch the pickup between plug wires to check both cylinders. If the light flashes continuously when the motor stumbles it is likely a fuel problem. If the light flashes intermittently or not at all you have an ignition issue and comparing the two sides can further help the diagnosis. The timing light gives a nice bright light to check for spark and provides information while the engine is running.

Good Luck

Brett

khittner

Not to throw parts at it, but

Post by khittner »

Not to throw parts at it, but if your spark plug leads/caps are older, they lose resistance and cause rough running. Not sure that it explains your symptoms' sudden onset, but I'd check them. Snowbum's treatises will have the correct resistance spec for that vintage; I'm pretty sure that the 5K ohms resistance that's necessary for my post-'81 electronic ignition bike is too high for the /6 bikes.
Konrad

monkeybikegirl

I will try that, thanks.

Post by monkeybikegirl »

I will try that, thanks.

monkeybikegirl

I believe the wires and caps

Post by monkeybikegirl »

I believe the wires and caps are new. It wont hurt to check though. This bike was sitting for over 30 years and only has about 3000 miles on it. the major overhaul was done by a mechanic I trust, but he lives an expensive ferry ride away. I also need to learn to do this myself. I am encouraged by my success with an old r69, but the r90s seems more complicated so far.

monkeybikegirl

Getting closer to the

Post by monkeybikegirl »

Getting closer to the problem. I checked spark from the plugs and one was not sparking as much. New plug which seems to have failed. Bike started much better and ran better after replacing the plugs with the older ones I still had around the shop.. I was able to take it for a ride and it runs great, except when starting out it bogs a bit and needs to be reved higher to get going. It does not do this all the time either. I will test the spark further this week.

monkeybikegirl

Back to the drawing board.

Post by monkeybikegirl »

Back to the drawing board. Weak spark and rough running again. At least I know now which direction I have go in.