If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Karcoma hose connnector

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
San Arthur

Karcoma hose connnector

Post by San Arthur »

One thing led to another….

I open the fuel tap and try to start the R90S to go for a ride in a beautiful winter day in south Texas.
The battery couldn’t turn the engine over.
All my air heads are on trickle chargers, so I took the 3 Odyssey back to Batteries Plus Bulbs for a load test.

Amazingly the PC680 I purchased in 2016 is still good, but the 2020 same model and 20% less cranking amps is dead!

I questioned Odyssey about the cranking amps reduction and they answered to me the following:

A few years ago the ratings on some of our batteries were adjusted. There was no change at all to the design or quality of the battery. It was simply a ratings realignment. The label is the only thing that has changed on the battery...

I left the battery for a slow charge and the next day, since it was confirmed dead, I purchase a SLA battery for ½ the price and twice the weight.

Back at home I installed the 18 pounds brick and the R90S started at the first try with a lots of smoke, super rich, that quickly polluted the garage.

Since something was wrong, I turn off the engine and pushed it out of the garage and notice a pond of oil under the center stand?!

After close inspection a realized it was fuel and oil mixed together coming out of the air filter cover, thru the breather maybe?

Yes, I didn't close the fuel taps and after a few months parked the floats stuck open and a coupe of gallons of fuel find their way into the engine.

I drained the fuel/oil and filled with fresh oil, run it a few seconds and drained the engine. Fill it with fresh oil, run it longer and drain it and repeat the operation one more time.

As you can imagine I made a mess and needed to clean the engine, air filter box and replace the soaked filter.

To make the work easier I removed the tank, but I just couldn’t remove the hose from the fuel tap connectors.

The braided fuel line melted into the connector, and it broke while trying to twist it out.

Did the methanol in the fuel fuse the connector into the nylon fuel line?

All my other motorcycles have metal tap connectors, the R90S Karcoma fuel tap connector is plastic.

Is there a metal part number for the same connector?
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

sblaylock

Re: Karcome hose connnector

Post by sblaylock »

I have yet to find a non plastic hose barb but the good news is replacement plastic ones are cheap and readily available.

I have heard of people turning there own on a lathe as well, but there's a thread on AdvRider that talks about preventative measures to take before connecting the fuel line to the connector so the hose doesn't "glue" itself to the plastic.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/karcoma- ... or.896983/

Scott.
Scott Blaylock
Stoney Peak BMW Service
Victoria, BC. Canada
BMW Classic and Vintage Motorcycle Service and Restoration
service@stoneypeak.com

San Arthur

Re: Karcoma hose connnector

Post by San Arthur »

Thanks Scott I will try a little petroleum jelly on the connectors or disconnect the fuel lines from the metal "Y"next time.

I order parts a few days ago from Max BMW to service the fuel taps and since I didn't receive a confirmation I decided to call.

I think I catch Francis in a very bad time and I have to admit English is not my first language.

16121233368 Strainer and 16121236390 springs are not available and will need to be ordered from BMW.

I miss Richard and Vech they are warm, knowledgeable, patient and customer orientated.

sblaylock

Re: Karcoma hose connnector

Post by sblaylock »

I did a quick check at a couple of places in the US and found 1 strainer at Euro Motoelectrics, but no springs.

That said, I called a couple of my suppliers in Canada and found both the springs and the strainers. They are shipping them to me and should be here next week. Email me your address (service@stoneypeak.com) and I'll mail them down to you.

Scott.
Scott Blaylock
Stoney Peak BMW Service
Victoria, BC. Canada
BMW Classic and Vintage Motorcycle Service and Restoration
service@stoneypeak.com

San Arthur

How long until my carbs gum up?

Post by San Arthur »

I just finished cleaning my wife’s Honda Rebel, my nephews Ruckus and the R90S carbs.
All pilot jets were clot and all carbs had a green gum residue.

In the case of the R90S the right petcock was dripping ever so slightly but enough to leave gum in the bowl that find it’s way into the jets. Thanks to @sblaylock who kindly sent me strainer and the springs to service the fuel valves.

How do you do to keep your carbs from clotting?

1. Ad fuel stabilizer?
2. Run your motorcycles every day, week, month, semester?
3. After closing the fuel switch valve, let the bike run until the fuel in the line dries out?
4. Drain the carb bowls after each ride?
5. Use ethanol free fuel?
6. ??