If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Fork slider bottom retention bolt

cambm1946

Fork slider bottom retention bolt

Post by cambm1946 »

I stripped the allen wrench hole of the bolt in the bottom of the fork slider in my 1995 R100RT. I got an "easy out" in... but of course when I turn it by hand it just turns the inside damper. When I put air to it, the easy out just spins off the bolt.
How can I get this bolt out... I do have a new one ready to instal and have ordered a 42mm socket to get the whole fork out of the triple tree. How can I get the interior damper to quit turning, when I try and unscrew it from the bottom!
Anyone have any ideas?
Cameron Ross

schrader7032

Can you put pressure on the

Post by schrader7032 »

Can you put pressure on the fork to help keep the internals from turning? I'm not sure if your RT is the same as my '78...mine has a 10mm nut to secure the extension of the threaded damper rod that sticks out the bottom. In order to loosen the nut, I use a 1/2-inch (I think that's fits the best in this situation) socket and clamp it in a pair of vise grips. Now I can slide the socket up inside the well at the bottom of the fork to loosen the nut, and I have clean access to allen opening to steady it while I use the vise grips to loosen the nut.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.