If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

battery acid on R27 engine case - what to do?

wheeler7664

battery acid on R27 engine case - what to do?

Post by wheeler7664 »

Greetings,
Yesterday I brought home my first vintage beemer, a 1964 R27.
Am very happy - what a fine little machine!

Had to bring the bike home over a two day period in a U-haul trailer.
Discovered this morning that the trailer bouncing had caused a small amount of battery acid to come out the battery over flow tube, where it was deposited on the top rear engine case.

I've cleaned off the white residue, but there is still a discoloration about .5 inch by 2 inches at the rear of the case.
Of course, I'm also going to get a longer overflow tube to go back behind the engine.

Queries:
Is there anything else I can or should do about this discoloration on the otherwise generally pristine case?
Should I have any concern about remaining acidic material eating away at the aluminum?

Thanks in advance for help and advice.

Bruce Frey

I would suggest that you wash

Post by Bruce Frey »

I would suggest that you wash the area with baking soda to make certain the acid is neurtalized. My next move would be to rub the area with a green Scotchbrite pad and maybe a SS brush. If that doesnt work, I would try one of the cleaners for cast aluminum wheels with a tooth brush. Be sure to rinse well and do not let it sit too long or you may have the same issue.

Hopefully you can just work on the the affected area without having to do the entire case

Let us know hw it goes.

Bruce

wheeler7664

Thanks very much for the kind

Post by wheeler7664 »

Thanks very much for the kind reply.
I used the baking soda and scotch-brite pad, which together made the spot scarcely noticeable.
Much appreciated!

rebbet

I need a BMW bike

Post by rebbet »

I would suggest that you wash the area with baking soda to make certain the acid is neurtalized. My next move would be to rub the area with a green Scotchbrite pad and maybe a SS brush. If that doesnt work,JN0-303 I would try one of the cleaners for cast aluminum wheels with a tooth brush. Be sure to rinse well and do not let it sit too long or you may have the same issue.

Hopefully you can just work on the the affected area without having to do the entire case

Let us know hw it goes.

Bruce
I really like BMW bike.