If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Rust removal from front wheel hub

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Other than the usual jellys meant steel/aluminum, I'm not sure what else to try. I did run across someone on anther forum who used electrolysis to do the job...pretty amazing results. Here's a picture of his setup:

http://datchew.smugmug.com/photos/456642175_KA2Pp-L.jpg

You might look around the web for electrolysis and see if that would work for you.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Ran across another "recipe" I had saved...not knowledge if it works or not.

Kurt in S.A.

-----------------------
Try this to remove rust on all steel surfaces:
Get a gallon of mollasess from your stock feed store or sugar refinery costs about $2 per gallon or from the super market ( but it costs much more ) place it in a large plastic container, I use an old wheelie rubbish bin. Then add five gallons of tap water mix well,yes you can drink it if you wish. Next thoughly degrease any rusty parts and wash off the reside. Immerse the rusted part in the solution and check periodicly. After about one week you will notice a change in the rusted parts as it disolves the rust. Depending on how deep the rust is as to how long it takes to disolve the rust. The max is about two weeks.This method will also work on frozen carbys and die cast metals BUT BE WARNED, IT WORKS QUICKLY ON DIE CAST AND TWO HOURS IS SOME TIMES TOO MUCH The best part is that you have no fear of the kids getting into it and it is safe to dispose on the garden or down the sewer. I have used this method to remove rusted diesel injectors from marine engines and to disolving rust on the thread of a two hundred year old violin bow. It has also worked in removing the shock absorbers from the aluminium holders on my R50s. Want to remove the rust from your gas tank use a quart of mollasess fill with water as before check etc, when finished flush out the gunk with fresh water,shake out all the drips and the best part dosent strip of the original paint, to prevent surface rust from appearing immeadiately , try a quart of what we call methelated spirit,its a blend of Alcohol and ethenol,I think Coleman sell something like this for lighting their catalitic heaters this absorbs the water droplets and dries quickly being alcohol no dont use MEK its volotile and real bad for your skin and lungs.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

supapet

Post by supapet »

Try this tips from:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/topic/rusted-wheel-hub/

They have very helpful videos.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I have a 1968 R60 US and half of the front hub on one side is rusted any ideas on a good rust remover???? :?: :roll:
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

scottosan

Rust Removal by Electrolysis

Post by scottosan »

My brother wrote a good description for hand-planes. I use the same technique for small parts. Should work fine for a hub or rim.

rust removal by electrolysis