If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Leaking Carbs - Again

schrader7032

Leaking Carbs - Again

Post by schrader7032 »

Are the floats brass? Mine are in my R69S. I doubt that a fix would be a long term solution. You might be able to solder or glue it, but it wouldn't last long and it's likely to upset the critical balance. I understand the brass ones will eventually develop the cracks as they will deteriorate over time...even just sitting on the bench.

My Bing manual shows a float with their part number on it. Is the carb a 1/26/68...should be a Type 122 carb? I don't see that there are multiple floats for it. Bing can help you out. Vech at Bench Mark Works can also probably help out. He has them listed on his website:

13 11 0 039 186--$40.50--11 gram float Bing carburetor R24 R26 R27 singles (35-073)

Vech has mentioned a plastic float being developed for the twins. Give him a call...possibly there's a replacement float for the R27 that won't have these kinds of problems.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

spiderman49

Leaking Carbs - Again

Post by spiderman49 »

Thanks for the input.

Yes the float is brass and I suspect that it is beyond repair. I will check with the Bing people to see if they can advise me what float size to order.

VBMWMO

Leaking Carbs - Again

Post by VBMWMO »

I have a R27 and it starts fine after it has been sitting for a period.

However about 5 minutes after it has started gasoline starts pouring out of the top of the carb through the gasket and the tippler.

When I take the carb apart the float is full of gasoline. There are no spacers, O rings, washers etc on the needle valves, washers.

The needle valve is rounded on the top.

Is there a fix for this other than a new float and needle valve?

If the answer is no, is there a way to tell what size float I would have. Looking at the parts catalogue, there appears to be 2 sizes.

Cheers

DPW :?:
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.