If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

ed korn tools

schrader7032

ed korn tools

Post by schrader7032 »

James -

Have you done this sort of thing before? If not, maybe the engine videos (Part 1 - lower engine, Part 2 - top end) they sell might also be of benefit.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

sproule7389

ed korn tools

Post by sproule7389 »

no i have not done the slingers before but i did pull the crank out on my 88 r100.i am an ase certified auto tech and have seen a lot more complicated things.the bike has 22,ooo from all that i have read the slingers should be checked thanks james

schrader7032

ed korn tools

Post by schrader7032 »

James -

Sounds like you have more skills than I do...I had someone do the bottom end for me. I supposed I could have pulled everything out, but I don't have the experience to determine if bearings need to be replaced, cranks to be rechromed, etc. 22K miles is approaching that point, especially if there's an unknown history of oil usage, maintenance, and in general how the bike has been treated.

There are probably a few tricks or gotchas along the way. I'm not the one to provide those answers, but there are others who can help should you have questions.

Good luck...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

ed korn tools

Post by Darryl.Richman »

You will find the Korn many in one tool to be very useful, and the directions are straightforward. You might want the flywheel lock tool (but you could fabricate that easily enough) and you'll want the barrel bearing alignment tool for your R69S.
--Darryl Richman

sproule7389

ed korn tools

Post by sproule7389 »

i have the flywheel holder for my r100,how does the bearing aligner work? i saw it and was not sure. james

Darryl.Richman

ed korn tools

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The R69S has a barrel roller bearing in back. The race can outer swing out from the rollers. So the bearing doesn't stay aligned by itself. The aligner mounts on the end of the crank and holds the bearing still, so it will slide into and out of the rear bearing retainer without cocking in the bore.
--Darryl Richman

sproule7389

ed korn tools

Post by sproule7389 »

thanks, i only want to place one order so i want to make sure i get everything i need.

VBMWMO

ed korn tools

Post by VBMWMO »

i have just recently purchased a 66 r69s, i need to pull the crank to check the slingers, has anyone purchased the many in one puller and is there anything else i should get? thanks james
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.