If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Red Kote removal question

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Why not go with the other liquids - acetone and MEK? Personally, I'd pass on the heat. Have you tried shaking various sizes of nuts and bolts inside the tank to chip away at the coating?

Is it really necessary to get all of the previous coating off? I thought the idea was to get the stuff that's flaked off...if bits and pieces are still stuck, then just coat over with the POR.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

pierce7221

Post by pierce7221 »

I thought the idea was to get the stuff that's flaked off...if bits and pieces are still stuck, then just coat over with the POR.

that's what i did, but i just assumed it was a dumb thing to do. i had already scheduled a big trip and couldn't wait to try new things, so after the old coating simply refused to go away i just put the new POR on right over it. i wasn't proud of it, but it seems to be ok so far...

eblen6882

Post by eblen6882 »

I decided to try acetone. I used to use it in college chemistry lab, so I know a little bit about it. I don't know if it will be an advantage or disadvantage that it evaporates more quickly than MEK. I will let you all know how the acetone works.

It's been cold and intermittently snowing, since last Sunday, and good ventilation is recommended, so I haven't tried it yet. I may yet break down and go buy a pair of insulated coveralls :?

I bought a roll of cork gasket material at the auto parts store and made a new gasket for one of my old gas caps. I am going to try a minimal amount of solvent so that there will be less to leak out in the event the gasket doesn't seal well.

Oh, and Schraeder, I'm anal, OK? :lol: Really, I just don't want to have to do this again in my lifetime.
Sharon

1959 BMW R26, 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2007 Suzuki 650 DR and 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I used POR-15 to coat the tank on my R51/3 more than a year ago, and it has held up so far perfectly, though I don't really consider this definitive yet.

In my tank's case, the red coating was nearly gone when I started, but the POR-15 stripper got most of what was left. I threw in a hand full of nuts as well and shook it up quite a bit.

When you get around to the actual coating process, be certain to put something -- I used 12 guage house wiring -- all the way through the crossover outlets. The coating is quite thick and could easily plug these small tubes.
--Darryl Richman

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I am in the preparation stage of relining my R26 gas tank.

I have the POR-15 tank kit and spent some time (all day, actually) yesterday soaking the inside of the tank with the Por-15 paint stripper (Methylene chloride), and rinsed. It removed some of the Red Kote, but not all.

I lost some of the solvent due to spills when the solvent apparently dissolved the adhesive on the duct tape. I was able to strap the tape on the openings with nylon ties, and stuffed a shaved wine bottle cork in the opening for the petcock.

Nothing I tried seem to work to seal off the fuel filler hole, I am thinking about going to get a sheet of cork gasket material and making a gasket for one of the two old gas caps I have sitting around and give that a try.

I have also been brainstorming and doing a little internet research. I found an information sheet for Red Kote that says it will dissolve in Acetone or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. The info sheet also says the Red Kote will "turn to ash" when heated to 250 degrees F.

Sooo, I'm tempted to try putting the tank in the oven (After making sure I have really cleaned the residual chemicals out) but I'd rather not blow up my house--maybe I could put it in the gas grill! :lol:

Anybody here tried heat? The concept makes me nervous, but I'm intrigued by the idea of simply turning the current lining to ash.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.