If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R27 Exhaust Nut Removal

Darryl.Richman

R27 Exhaust Nut Removal

Post by Darryl.Richman »

It's a good thing that you didn't try to "muscle" it off. The steel of the collar is galling the aluminum threads on the exhaust spigot. If you force it, you'll take the threads off the head. While this is not an uncommon repair to have to make, it isn't particularly cheap.

Instead, carefully cut the collar most of the way through, with a hacksaw blade or a Dremel tool, stopping before you cut into the exhaust threads of the head, and then finish splitting it with a chisel.

The collar is available from Vech at Bench Mark Works, for example:
18 11 4 090 110--$36.00--exhaust coupling nut R24 R26 R27 pss

Good luck!
--Darryl Richman

R.D. Green

R27 exhaust nut removal

Post by R.D. Green »

Thanks, Darryl. I figured that was going to be the solution but was hoping there might be a "magic bullet". My credit card is an old friend of Vech....

Richard

R.D. Green

R27 Exhaust Nut Removal

Post by R.D. Green »

Well, I had to put the R27 project aside for awhile while I tended to other matters, among which was my daughter's wedding, but I'm happy to say I can close this issue out with a happy ending. I very carefully cut the old exhaust nut most of the way through with a Dremel tool and small zizz wheel, stopping just before I got to the threads on the head as Darryl suggested. I finished the cut with a small cold chisel then took a large screwdriver and spread the edges of the cut, whereupon the nut came right off. Sure enough - - one thread on the head was galled badly and a second one was galled slightly. I then took a small triangular file and carefully cleaned up the bad threads as best I could until I could get the new nut to easily screw on and off all the way by hand. A new copper crush ring and some anti-seize paste and the job's done. Now - - on to the electrics...

Richard

Darryl.Richman

R27 Exhaust Nut Removal

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Congrats on your daughter's wedding, and also on saving what is otherwise an expensive repair!
--Darryl Richman

VBMWMO

R27 Exhaust Nut Removal

Post by VBMWMO »

Okay - - Now that the cenerstand springs are installed for the next forty years or so, I have another "removal" issue.

I need to remove the R27 exhaust pipe nut so that I can replace the sealing ring under the nut. The problem is that the nut will only loosen up about 1/3 of a turn. It tightens up fine but will only loosen up a little bit. I've tried soaking it in PB solvent and then repeatedly tightening and loosening it but no luck. I don't want to apply too much pressure for fear of stripping something out. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Richard
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.