If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Airhead Dealer Service Tool Set

danlaw

Airhead Dealer Service Tool Set

Post by danlaw »

/Hi, TT&T community-

I'm wondering if anyone has any strategies for finding old dealer/service toolsets for airheads. Even a description of what consisted of what would have been considered a complete tool set for servicing a '70s BMW Motorcycle would be very interesting.

Thanks in advance!
D

srankin

Re: Airhead Dealer Service Tool Set

Post by srankin »

I have a friend who does only airhead restoration and repairs. He has one of the wall hanging outline boards from a BMW dealer. This was a board with the name and outline of all the special tools BMW supplied for service.

To be honest, finding BMW service tools is like finding hen's teeth. Rumor is tools were supposed to be returned to BMW after a shop closed?

In my case The dealership closed, their mechanic went round the corner and opened an independent shop. He bought the tools from the closing dealership owner. That person had never acquired all the tools BMW had but had only obtained those he felt he needed. So the collection was not 100%

Original factory tools are as I said like hen's teeth, people who have them hang on to them. With guys aging out, there are chances for collection to come on the market but as they are so highly sought after, they don't stay on the market long.

A bunch of people have brought similar tools to market for sale. Items such as the rear main seal tool can be purchased after market and I guess works well but it is not quite as nice as the BMW expensive tool.

Anyway keep an eye out in the BMWMOA or Vintage or Airheads for retiring mechanics selling off stock. You might get lucky. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS