If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

TR500 Torsion Bar

Daves79x

TR500 Torsion Bar

Post by Daves79x »

I need to remove the swinging arm/torsion bar from a TR500 to replace due to a broken spindle. I have the snap ring off, but nothing will budge. Has anyone had one apart? From the few pictures I've found, I can't tell how the swinging arm and the torsion bar are connected inside. Thanks!

Dave
Dave

cwf

Re: TR500 Torsion Bar

Post by cwf »

Hello,

There was a discussion about 9 months ago here : https://dreiradler.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8&p=248877

It's in German, so you might need Google translate or similar. Here are 3 of the offerings:

"About 50 years ago I removed a torsion bar to transfer it.
On the outside, 2 shells are vulcanized onto/into a rubber element (spring).
Offset by 180°, 2 longitudinal grooves are free.
There are 2 rectangular strips in the frame tube
into which the suspension is inserted."

"The front bearing should consist of two half shells rotating in a bearing cup. After opening the clamp on the frame, the story should loosen up. The torsion spring lock can also be located behind the front bearing. In that case, the rear bearing could also be welded in, but that would mean that the torsion bar would actually be broken"

"The torsion bar should rest in two bearings, the rear of which is secured in the frame with pin or grub screws. This must be pulled out during disassembly. The axial securing of the torsion bar is in front of and behind."

Hope there's some sense in there,

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Thanks much Charlie. Somewhat clearer, but still confusing. I'm in contact with a German fellow that I think can help me further.

Dave
Dave

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Just an update - after a sometimes-frustrating effort to communicate with Ideal in Germany, I was finally forced to realize that even if I did get the old torsion block out of the frame, there are no service parts available (I needed the swinging arm as my axle spindle is broken). This is not at all clear when looking at the parts fiche that they have on their website. The only solution is to buy a complete weld-in rear frame section with the newer style torsion/swingarm assembly. That or fabricate a new spindle to replace the broken one. Welding in the new frame section isn't a huge deal, as my frame is bent anyway and requires some other work also. So my order is in for all the new parts I need to get the TR500 frame/chassis ready to go. Not cheap, but try to find ANY TR500 for sale. My boat is tweaked from the accident, but it is a very solid, never-rusted original. Thanks to those who have replied!

Dave
Dave