If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bing, Leak Problem Resolved

kirkpatrick3890

Bing, Leak Problem Resolved

Post by kirkpatrick3890 »

So I had a leaky Bing, first option is replace the float bowl gasket, right, as that usually stops the leak?
Well not this time.

So I backed off from this plan and thought about it: take one step at a time in a very methodical approach.

So I took the float bowl off and set it on my workbench in a steel bowl, then added about 3/8 of an inch of gas and let it sit. Voila, gas was leaking from the bowl!

So I determined from this trial that gas was likely leaking past the brass stand pipe although it was not detectable to the eye.

Then I obtained another float bowl and tried this experiment again; no leak! That was good.

Then I installed the float bowl on the carb and let the bike sit for a long period of time with both petcocks set to reserve. No leaks, so problem was resolved.

Learning, learning, and success. I learned to be more methodical, I hope!
Mac Kirkpatrick
President, VBMWO

schrader7032

Re: Bing, Leak Problem Resolved

Post by schrader7032 »

Nice to find a solution! What carb and bike are you talking about?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Hey Mac, let me get this straight, you found the float bowl itself was leaking, perhaps the brass choke tube? I must admit, this is the first time I have ever heard or seen it happen.

Good catch!

Man, that would have driven me crazy because I would have been setting and resetting float levels, changing gaskets. Since I have never heard of a float bowl going bad, I would never have thought to do what you did. Cheers, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

willstone

Post by willstone »

Chasing a leaking carb, I finally discovered that the overflow tube in the float bowl had a tiny crack in it that
was letting fuel weep out. I discovered this by filling the bowl with fuel off the bike. I talked to the people at Bing and they told me that it is pretty common on the older bikes. I am replacing both bowls on my /6. They are available from most BMW dealers as well as directly from Bing. The price at dealers is always a little bit less. I paid about $55 at Hermy's BMW in Port Clinton PA.

rbikeocd

Post by rbikeocd »

It has been a while but i used to be able to repair those by pulling the overflow tube out of the bowl and CAREFULLY JB welding in a replacement piece of tube from hobby store. Put the JB on the OUTSIDE of the tube before inserting in hole - don't put the epoxy in the hole. I have also seen riders slide a piece of tight fitting fuel line over the tube to temporarily/permanently fix a leak.
1969 R60US Project
Airhead #2306