If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

frozen parts

rmichel13

frozen parts

Post by rmichel13 »

I have a 1974 BMW R60/5. The header pipes and flange nut are corroded and I cannot get them loose. Any suggestions? I tried PB Blaster with no luck.
Bob Michel

schrader7032

There is a special wrench of

Post by schrader7032 »

There is a special wrench of this. But if you've tried to turn the spider exhaust nut and it moved and stopped or if it's as tight as you think it is, my recommendation is to cut it off with a Dremel or hacksaw. Then you can use a chisel or something to spread the nut so it will slip off. You want to do everything you can to save the threads on the exhaust port stub...if those threads are severely damaged, you're options are costly to get it repaired or replaced.

I've BTDT. When I first got my /7 before the Internet, I ruined the threads on one of my heads. I ended up getting it repaired by a guy who did good aluminum welding. I recently did a top end and went immediately to cutting off the exhaust nuts. No way was I going to chance messing things up a second time.

The threads are lubed with a quality anti-seize lubricant but it tends to dry out over time. You're "supposed" to loosen them each year as part of routine maintenance and refresh the lubricant. I've always been remiss in doing that.

Attachments
nutoff.jpg
nutoff.jpg (536 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

stagewex

I've used "Kroil" with great

Post by stagewex »

I've used "Kroil" with great success when PB Blaster has not worked. It does work but you have to have great patience. Several applications over a few days.

mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

rmichel13

exhaust pipes

Post by rmichel13 »

I got the spider nut loose and off along with the compression rings. the pipes are stuck in the heads and will not budge. Before I do any damage does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them loose.
Bob Michel

schrader7032

Are the mufflers still

Post by schrader7032 »

Are the mufflers still attached to the headers? If they're removed, it lets you move the headers around a bit. Soaking in Kroil will help. Likely the issue is that the header pipe that is stuck into the exhaust port is at a small angle and keeping things from moving.
Kurt in S.A.

rmichel13

stuck pipes

Post by rmichel13 »

The mufflers are off and all nuts and bolts removed. Also the crossover pipe is off but the pipes are still stuck in the head. I will try kroil. do you think heating the head by the threads would help?
Bob Michel

schrader7032

Certainly some amount of heat

Post by schrader7032 »

Certainly some amount of heat will help. Kroil and time will also work. You'll need to begin to work the headers out of plane to loosen them up. They're probably just bound up in there, plus some carbon is in there too.
Kurt in S.A.