If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Starting and Idle problems with R60/5

Cullen R

Starting and Idle problems with R60/5

Post by Cullen R »

I have a 1972 R60/5. Since I got it I thought the battery had been dying regularly but every time I hook up my battery tender it says it's at 95%. I usually just leave it on and the problem is fixed by the morning. Now I'm starting to figure out that it's only after long rides (about an hour or more). The idle on the bike is usually pretty high after a long ride too and it will occasionally putter out at a traffic light and stall. I know the carbs could use a cleaning and the valve spacing needs to be adjusted but I don't think this is causing the problem. What else could be causing the starting problems and the stalling at idle when the engine is hot?
Thanks,
Cullen
Cullen R.

Cullen R

Additional Information

Post by Cullen R »

Sorry, I never mentioned exactly what was going on. After these long trips the starter button won't do anything. It works perfectly almost all other times but when the engine is hot it does absolutely nothing.

On a separate note there is also a knocking sometimes on start up when the engine is cold that sounds like it is close to the crankshaft or camshaft. It usually goes away after the engine runs for a minute. Just wondering what that might be as well.
Cullen R.