If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Technique or tool for removing ignition leads from coils

khittner

Technique or tool for removing ignition leads from coils

Post by khittner »

Is there a tool or technique for removing OEM BMW ignition leads intact from Bosch coils, and doing so without cracking the ceramic coil "tower"? So far, I haven't managed to do that task using a small variety of small screw drivers and needle-nose pliers, and have only managed to pull the ignition lead wire completely off of the metal connector while tugging on the wire and pinching the connector's "wings" together in an effort to get the lead out of the coil.

I do have new ignition leads to use with the new coils, but I was hoping to separate my not-so-old leads from the old coils, test the resistors, and save them for spares if they still have the requisite 5K ohm resistance. There must be a method that's eluding me.
Konrad

schrader7032

I'm surprised that if you can

Post by schrader7032 »

I'm surprised that if you can see the metal leads down inside the tower that you can't get a needle nose in there to collapse it inwards. They're like spring clips. I wonder if you could find a reasonable thin piece of sheet metal but stiff enough to push on. Slide it between the metal leads and the inside of the coil tower. The leads are catching on the edge of the plastic tower.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.