If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

INHERITED a 1969 R 50 need HELP lowering The SEAT

bobbyerd

INHERITED a 1969 R 50 need HELP lowering The SEAT

Post by bobbyerd »

hi Everyone
new BMW vintage owner here and i got a 1969 R 50 from my brother but the seat is a little to high for me
wanted to see if anyone has ideas on lowering the seat with out changing the original parts on the bike
i took off the seat and gas tank ---removed the bracket with the seat black hard bushing --and that gave me about 6 " but now it rides on the back bumper looked at redrilling the hole on the front bracket but dont want to alter the bike
any ideas from you all
Thanks Bobby
nybobby

Darryl.Richman

Your description of the bike

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Your description of the bike is a little vague - is this an R50/2, R50US or an R50/5? And if it's one of the first two, does it have a "tractor saddle" type seat or one of the bench type seats?

If it's a "tractor" type of seat, a lot of people modify the frame - by welding on tabs - to mount one or another Harley type seat. This annoys everyone who wants to see these bikes kept stock, but the BMW seats don't fit everyone. Corbin still makes a /2 seat that looks lower than the stocker: http://corbin.com/bmw/slash2.shtml
--Darryl Richman

R68

Let's assume you have an R50/2?

Post by R68 »

Whatever do do should depend on your skills as fabricator, and if very few of these, Darryl's tip on the Corbin is sensible? Here's two other options, the bike in the background with a standard BMW tractor seat that runs around $3-400, and the bike in the foreground with a variation on the theme of some early HD-Indian sole seat on coil springs. You can place the seat at any height you wish, until you start to hit the rear fender. If your a short 'n fat fella, have stiffer coil springs, if short 'n thin...well you get the picture...good luck!
Attachments
img_4641.jpg
img_4641.jpg (3.86 MiB) Viewed 2344 times

bobbyerd

R - 50-2

Post by bobbyerd »

Hi Darryl
yes its a R-50-2 and has the tractor seat
thanks
bobby
nybobby

bobbyerd

r 50-2

Post by bobbyerd »

thanks for the HELP
I am SHORT but NOT FAT LOL
so I need all the help I can get
nybobby

jrapose

I understand your pain

Post by jrapose »

I have the original rubber solo seat on my 1966 R69S and it is not a good ride at all... it sits high in the back and scoots you forward into the tank... uncomfortable on any long ride... my bike has that rubber block holding the seat in position so there is not much that can be done to change the position.... That Corbin seat looks like it not only lowers...(that I don't need) but moves you into a better riding position...might be worth a try, but I sure want to sit on one to see if I like it before I spend that sort of money into another pain in the ...... The original seat looks so kool that I really hesitate to change it....besides it only hurts for a bit..

Joel
1966 R69S
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

stagewex

I am running that particular

Post by stagewex »

I am running that particular Corbin as a Solo right now. It is very, very comfortable. I had a wide U.S. seat mounted last Winter. Looks the worst on a /2 but may be the most comfortable for 2-up riding. Then tried a classic Denfeld Solo which hands-down is the best looking as far as I'm concerned. But for me the most uncomfortable. The Corbin brings your body lower and deeper into the frame and further back. Flatter and wider it doesn't cup and push you forward like the Denfeld. I like it a lot and is easy to swap-out from solo to bench (no fuel tank removal). I don't have that back passenger section.

Attachments
img_4501.jpg
img_4501.jpg (263.89 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
img_4499.jpg
img_4499.jpg (311 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L